Greek life to launch “Project Dallas” homeless outreach

According to a report by Dallas County, as of 2013 there were nearly 3,000 men, women and children living on the street or in shelters.

Update (12/1 6:04 p.m.): Greek life headed to Dallas today, Monday, Dec. 1, instead of tomorrow, Dec. 2, as originally planned.

Greek life at Tarleton State University will be launching a homeless outreach program nicknamed “Project Dallas.” Lambda Chi Alpha member Patrick Smith said he thought of the idea after an experience with a homeless individual, and the project grew from there.

“It came out of an experience I had over the summer – an encounter with a homeless person – and different times I’ve gone to inner cities,” said Smith. “This school, and other schools, aren’t really doing anything to give back to the homeless… it seemed like an area that Tarleton could really grab ahold of and make an impact on in a huge way.”

Smith said the project began with a small group of students, then expanded to include Lambda Chi, and soon after, all three Greek councils – Inter-Fraternity Council, Panhellenic Council and Inter-Greek Council – expressed interest in getting involved. However, any student is encouraged to donate, regardless of whether or not they are affiliated with a Greek organization.

“This wasn’t an attempt to make Greek life look good, it’s just an attempt to do something good,” Smith added. “It’s something to get people excited about, to give it more energy and make it an annual thing. Greek life prides itself on trying to be philanthropic… what better way to do that than providing to those who need it most, especially around the holidays. It’s something we can easily do as a group.”

Items needed include soap, beanies, disposable razors, gloves, deodorant, socks, baby wipes, combs, travel size first aid kits, toothbrushes and toothpaste, and old t-shirts and hoodies. Smith requested that students do not donate medicine, cash or anything an individual could use to harm themselves or others.

“The biggest thing [we need] is old used blankets,” Smith said. “But even encouraging notes or gift cards to places like McDonald’s are great.”

A collection event will be held by Greek Life on Nov. 25 from 6-10 p.m. in the Thompson Student Center ballrooms to assemble packages, which will then be passed out to homeless individuals in the Dallas/Fort Worth area on the afternoon of Dec. 2 by a group of Greek students. Leftover items will be donated to local homeless shelters in the area.

“Here we are, we’re Tarleton, and we want you guys to have something, in a time where you maybe have nothing,” Smith said. “That’s really the basis of it all, is to give these people something.”