Evangelist’s controversial signs raise eyebrows on Tarleton campus

An unnamed man sported controversial signs outside the Dining Hall, attracting a crowd of students.

“The party ends in hell,” according to an unidentified religious evangelist who set up shop on the Tarleton State University campus at lunchtime on Nov. 21.

“Jesus said ‘If you do not overcome as I have overcome, then I will not allow you into Heaven,” said the man, holding a sign that read “Modern Christians hate Jesus” as he addressed the crowd. Students carrying Bibles along with their schoolbooks engaged the man in a lively debate as curious onlookers stopped to watch the conversation unfold.

“I feel like he was talking about how you have to be completely perfect to get into Heaven,” said Melissa Miles, a senior student who had conversed with the man. “Unfortunately, none of us can do everything right… I can’t get into Heaven on my own – it’s by God’s grace.”

The man, who according to police claimed he came from Granbury, TX despite holding Missouri identification, disagreed.

“Jesus said to many people, ‘Go and sin no more.’ And he expected them to do that,” he said, now holding a sign claiming, “You must change for Christ to accept you.” “And if they don’t, they will not be part of His kingdom.”

The debate in this scenario is not an uncommon one among Christian communities, with some believing action leads to a life in Heaven, and others believing no amount of works can earn them a spot.

“His message just seemed contradictory of… the Bible,” said sophomore Chase McCollough. “He was taking stories that applied to what he wanted to get across and ignoring Scripture that didn’t suit his case.”

After nearly an hour of questions and debate, officers of the Tarleton Police Department arrived on the scene, responding to a concerned phone call.

“I asked [the man] to leave because he wasn’t a Tarleton student, and he doesn’t have permission to be on campus soliciting,” said Officer Jimmy Jackson. “I referred him to Student Life to either get permission or not.”

At the time of this writing, the unnamed man has not returned to the same location to engage students or been seen picketing elsewhere on campus. After his departure, several students remained behind to discuss the incident.

“That was probably the only thing that really struck me as wrong with him, because he kept saying we had to be completely perfect to get into Heaven, and that’s just not the case,” added Miles. “God and Jesus are my perfection, and I thank them for it.”