International Week to begin Nov. 15

International Week begins on campus Nov. 17.

The Tarleton State University International Programs Office of Student Success and Multicultural Initiatives (SSMI) will kick off International Week 2014 on Saturday, Nov. 15. Events will run from Saturday until Friday, Nov. 21.

“We hope students will take advantage of all the opportunities to learn about other cultures,” said Dr. Marilyn Robitaille, Director of International Programs.

Multiple events and activities will be held throughout the week and are open to all Tarleton students. The week will begin with an International Week Opening Pot-Luck Party at the home of Robitaille, and will end with an International Video Game Tournament on Friday from 2 to 6 p.m. in the Thompson Student Center. Events throughout the week will include a study abroad mini fair and cupcake mixer, a performance by Zuzu acrobats from Kenya at the Recreational Center, a showcase by The Language Company and a screening of “The Muslims Are Coming,” an award winning film by comedian filmmaker Negin Farsad.

“As comfortable as we may be at home, there’s no escaping the fact that we live in a global society,” said Robitaille. “The university has a responsibility to give students an education that will prepare them to meet the challenges they’ll encounter in that global society, to be productive citizens, and to become life-long learners. International Programs and everything associated with it evolves around the common goal of affording students a chance to learn that there’s a bigger world outside their comfort zone. You may not have a chance to visit another part of the world, but you do have a chance to meet students who have international connections.”

A full list of International Week events can be found at tarleton.edu/international.