Happy Thanksgiving from Chicago

Aerial view of The Sound and The Fury during halftime at a Tarleton football game.

Heather Capps/Photographer

On Nov. 27, families across America will be sitting down to eat their yearly Thanksgiving meal and tuning in to watch many different Thanksgiving Day parades. But for the Tarleton State University marching band, The Sound and The Fury, Thanksgiving will consist of a mile-long march in front of an estimated four million viewers as they participate in the 81st annual McDonald’ s Thanksgiving Day Parade in Chicago, Illinois.

“I am extremely honored that The Sound & The Fury was asked to march in this parade,” said The Sound and the Fury Band Director Dr. Gary Westbrook. “To be selected based solely upon a video of the group that someone saw on YouTube is quite an accomplishment. Our students work very hard and it is always wonderful to see good things come to them, the program and the university.”

Westbrook was one of two directors in the state who were on the possible list to perform in the parade. However, The Sound and the Fury were ultimately selected thanks to a video of their performance on YouTube.

Of the twenty-five marching bands in the line-up, The Sound and the Fury is the only group from Texas selected to perform in this year’s parade, and is one of only two collegiate groups set to play.

“This will be the first time my family gets to travel with the bands so that is very exciting for me,” said Westbrook. “The support that I receive from home for what I do is unparalleled and I love them for it. [I am also excited to see] The Sound & The Fury performing for the other high school bands participating in the parade, and the opportunity for The Sound & The Fury to show who we are and what we do on that large [of] a stage. It is very exciting.”

Fundraising efforts have been put into action since the beginning of the fall semester. From a raffle drawing to generous donations from band supporters, students have been trying to gather money as best they can.

“Making sure people have funds for the trip has… been tricky due to the timing of asking for money,” said The Sound and The Fury administrative assistant Sierra Sant. “I would say that the fundraising helped as much as it could have, but most of our funds came from people who donated to the band.”

Excitement and anxiety are running high as the band prepares for their 16-hour bus ride to the Windy City.

“I’m excited to go to Chicago, and I’m looking forward to spending it with all my friends as my last event as a senior,” said senior band member Sara Bolinger.

While some students will be leaving the state of Texas for the first time ever, others will feel right at home during the parade.

“I am very excited about the trip,” said senior band member Thomas Borowski. “Chicago is where I was born and half my family will get to see me march for the first time.”

As the day of the performance draws near, Westbrook has an important goal for the Texan marching band.

“Overall, I hope our students take in what Chicago has to offer and feels the energy and excitement that will surround this parade,” said Westbrook. “I know I plan to.”

The McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade will be broadcast live on WGN America from 8 to 11 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day. For more information about the parade, visit http://www.chicagofestivals.org/.