Purple Poo on strike

Messages like these can be seen around campus, drawing attention to the Poo strike and asking students to respect Tarleton traditions.

Dawn Skinner/Editor-in-Chief Chelsea Bradley/Managing Editor

Last night, members of the Purple Poo posted a video on the Office of Student Engagement Facebook page announcing to the Tarleton State University student body that they are on strike.

The video features several current TTS and TTP delivering the following message to students:

“This message is brought to you by the Purple Poo. Respect traditions. I’m mad at you, I’m mad at all of you.” Followed by chanting of “Poo on strike, Poo on strike.”

Students woke up this morning to chalk messages written on the sidewalk, some of which appeared to come from the Poo themselves, and others from students bemoaning the strike. The hash tags “PooOnStrike” and “BringBackthePoo” accompanied messages imploring the student body to “respect traditions” and “do everything for the students of tomorrow”.

“Yes, the Purple Poo are on strike for hanging signs and possibly from attending as many events,” Purple Poo advisor Jennifer McGregor said. “They will be out at homecoming events. There have been a few problems that we have had lately and we hope this might help solve future issues.”

McGregor said one reason behind the strike is students disturbing the Poo when they place signs in Heritage Park. The Poo traditionally place the signs in the park on Monday night for students to take the next morning, but lately, students have been taking signs early.

“Students need to leave the signs alone until Tuesday morning. This is the tradition,” McGregor said.

Another reason for the strike, according to McGregor, is students who dress in their own costumes and come to events where the Poo are present.

“People who are dressing up and coming out around the Poo need to stay away,” McGregor said. “This is disrespectful of the tradition and it is also strange.”

Lastly, McGregor added that students should not “mess with [the Poo] and don’t touch them.”

“We ask that students don’t ruin a tradition that is very unique to Tarleton and has been around since 1921 and 1923,” McGregor said. “This seems to be more of an issue with underclassmen in the fall semester.”

For the past two weeks, chalk messages asking students to stay off the Tarleton seal, stop walking on the grass and sport purple on Thursdays have been abundant on campus. Now, with Tarleton’s oldest spirit organization taking a stand, it is clear that many students at this University are prepared to take a stand for tradition.

To view the video announcing the Poo strike, click here.