A Day in the Life: Jay Johnson

Student Body President Jay Johnson and Vice President Alyssa Byrd.

Jaci Ingram/ Staff Writer

Tarleton State University Student Body President Jay Johnson’s daily life may surprise you.

Johnson starts his day off by working at Legends residence hall as an office assistant. After that he grabs lunch, then heads down to the Student Government Association office in the Thompson Student Center to answer emails and phone calls, and deal with student or faculty issues. Johnson says his office has an open-door policy to anyone who needs his time.

After a long day on campus he goes home to work on his online classes. When he’s free of classwork, he watches movies on Netflix, plays guitar, reads, or hangs outs with his friends.

On Wednesday Johnson attends Senate/House meetings, as well as SGA executive meetings on Thursdays.

Johnson is a graduate student majoring in management and leadership with an undergraduate degree in political science. Johnson is also a local, having grown up in Stephenville, and is the ninth person in his family to graduate from Tarleton.

“Purple runs in my blood,” Johnson said about being a third generation student to Tarleton. After he graduates he wants to either work in Student Affairs or “even go into movie making.”

Johnson has been through many homecomings and his favorite tradition is the Silver Bugle Hunt, but unfortunately says he “has never found the Silver Bugle.”

Ladies, if you ever need a dance partner look for Johnson, he said that he is a “really good dancer” when it comes to two stepping. Johnson said he has also been playing the guitar for about ten years.

“Working with students” is Johnson’s favorite part about being Student Body President. Being able to talk to students and hear their concerns “makes every day worth it.”