Tarleton sets record enrollment for third year

The freshman class of 2018 poses on the field during Transition Week 2014.

For the third year in a row, Tarleton State University has set a record for enrolled students. Each year, the number of enrolled students at Tarleton increases, according to 12th day of class data. The 11,708 students enrolled made for a 7 percent increase from last year’s enrollment.

Also seeing an increase in students was the minority groups. The number of Hispanic students increased by approximately 30 percent, while African American students rose 21 percent.

“We do hope and expect to see continued growth in the diversity of our student body,” said Dr. Javier Garza, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management. “Embedded within Tarleton’s commitment to diversity and student success is a commitment to equip our students to make meaningful contributions in the global marketplace upon graduation. Our commitment to enhancing the diversity of our campus communities and encouraging students to engage in study abroad opportunities, among other related initiatives, is an important component in the preparation of our students to thrive and lead in a global environment. We are committed to the success of a student body that reflects the diverse population of the state of Texas.”

The freshman class increased by 7.7 percent to 2,532 students, and the graduate enrollment went up to 1,637, a 9.9 percent increase from last year.

Ongoing construction is occurring to help accommodate the growing student body. A parking garage was recently approved and new residence halls are in the works.

“Tarleton is reviewing its 2020 campus plan to adaptively and proactively respond to the opportunities to even better serve our students,” Garza said. “Moreover, Tarleton has significantly increased the number of faculty over the past two years and is looking for innovative ways to leverage available resources to improve available facilities and provide our students with exemplary service while they engage in the rich and important educational experience that we provide here.”

As of the 12th day of class (Sept. 10), there were 8,339 students on the Stephenville campus, 1,576 at Fort Worth, 923 at McLennan Community College in Waco, 261 at Navarro College in Midlothian, and 521 online-only students.

While Tarleton as a whole has seen an increase, individual colleges inside Tarleton are also growing. The College of Business Administration is highest in enrollment with 2,838 students, the College of Science and Technology has 2,748 and the College of Education sits third with 2,533 students.

The Colleges of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences and Liberal and Fine Arts have also increased. Agriculture and Environmental Science increased 5.6 percent to 1,806, while Liberal and Fine Arts had the largest increase of 11.9 percent to 1,692 students.

“Tarleton’s commitment to its core values and becoming the premier student-focused university in the state of Texas is clearly apparent to the students and families who visit our campus, and to those students entrusting Tarleton to provide them with a quality undergraduate and graduate educational experience in a student-centered environment,” said Garza. “In addition to the committed, professional and caring faculty and staff at Tarleton, the community of support, service and leadership that exists among our student body is uniquely extraordinary.”