Student, faculty representatives send former tobacco policy up in smoke

The new tobacco policy will increase smoking distance from buildings from 20 feet to 50 feet away and will be designated by signs located away from entryways to lessen the chance of smoke entering buildings.

Leslie Crosson/ Reporter [email protected]

Tarleton State University will take its first steps toward a smoke free campus as a new tobacco policy has been enacted on peer recommendation of Student Government Association (SGA), Student Council and faculty senate.

“In an effort to improve campus wellness, Tarleton State University has approved a rule change that restricts smoking and the use of tobacco products in and around Tarleton owned or leased properties in Stephenville,” Tye Minckler, Vice President of Finance and Administration, said.

“As I began to work with the Faculty Senate and began gathering input from the Student Senate and House, our position on the tobacco policy became more refined and our focus shifted more to better enforcing current university and state regulations, as well as the implementation of designated smoking areas,” Abigail Fesmire, former Vice President of University Operations, said.

As before, smoking is not permitted in any university building, vehicle, athletic facility (indoor or outdoor) or eating area. Smoking areas have been designated in such places as outside the dining hall, further away from the O.A. Grant building and an area near Wisdom Gym.

“We expect that all those who smoke or use smokeless tobacco products will voluntarily comply with both the spirit and the intent of this rule,” Minckler said. “If anyone feels the rule is being violated, they may report it to the Office of the Dean of Students or the University Police.”

The movement to a smoke free campus is not a new idea, as 1,300 other universities have also made transitions to eliminate the use of tobacco on school grounds.

“The intent is to create a safe, healthy and pleasant environment for all students, employees and visitors,” Minckler said.