R.A.D. classes begin tonight

The R.A.D. Program is the largest self-defense program of all and the only program to be enforced by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators.

Lawrence N. Nadeau founded Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) Systems in 1989 as a way to teach women and children self-defense and manage aggressive behavior. The R.A.D. Program is the largest self-defense program of all and the only program to be enforced by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (I.A.C.L.E.A).

Tarleton State University offers these classes to women every fall and spring semester. The class is free of charge, but does have a limited amount of space. The classes can be nine to twelve hours long and take place for several nights. The instructors for the classes are Detective Kristie Bint, Officer Steve Miller, and Officer Amanda Miller. Those who attend the classes will experience lectures, discussion and self-defense techniques for all women.

“I do think the program is effective, being that women are better educated with what to do and are given different resources to use should they be attacked,” Bint said. “After having taken the class, they can be aware of a situation and maybe prevent an attack. Being a survivor is the most important and over all theme of the class. The program informs the women about laws, preventions and being a survivor.  The class gives the women confidence, knowledge and options to handle situations should they arise.”

To register for the fall 2014 semester class, contact Detective Bint at (254) 968-9565 or via email at [email protected].