Student research program begins second year

Faculty and students involved in FYRE include (l-r) Dr. Rajani Srinivasan, Dr. Russell Pfau, Mariah Renderio, Dr. Lance Whaley, Alexandria Long, Dr. Sudarshan Kurwadkur, Sergio Guerro, Dr. Michael Hibbs, Meghan Nolin, Dr. Kartik Venkataraman and and Kayla Jacobs.

Last fall, Tarleton State University introduced a new program to incoming freshmen called the First Year Research Experience. The program began at the request of the Provost, Dr. Karen Murray, and has made Tarleton one out of a small group of universities nation-wide that formally engage freshmen in research.

“It was started as a way to get freshmen exposed to research in order to stimulate their interest and connect them to their major early in their academic career,” Dr. Russell Pfau, professor for biology and Director of the Office of Student Research and Creative Activities said. “My role as Director was to develop and coordinate bi-weekly group meetings and activities, which included workshops on how to read scientific papers, how to present their research findings.”

Mariah Renderio, Alexandria Long, Sergio Guerro, Kayla Jacobs, and Meghan Nolin all took part in the inaugural First Year Research Experience under the mentorship of Pfau, Dr. Rajani Srinivasan, Dr. Lance Whaley, Dr. Surdashan Kurdwadkur, Dr. Kartik Venkataraman, and Dr. Michael Hibbs. Participants for the program were selected by professors serving as faculty mentors.

“This kind of research only added value to what I’m doing here at Tarleton and completely reaffirmed my interest in my major, environmental engineering,” Jacobs, a sophomore from Burleson, Texas, said. “ My main concern going in was not being equipped enough to do the research, but my professor mentor, Dr. Kartik Venkataraman, was very quick to assist me in anything I was unclear about.”

The First Year Research Experience will be announced and presented to interested students this fall, with participants being chosen by the end of the semester.

Pfau has stepped down as the program director for the Office of Student Research and Creative Activities after 5 years.

Students who are interested in the program are encouraged to speak with faculty who are accepting students.

For additional information on the First Year Research Experience visit www.tarleton.edu/studentresearch