Campus to host community forum for input on building, enhancements made to Tarleton

The 2020 plan for Tarleton’s campus includes adding 3,000 seats to the existing 7,000 seat stadium.

Leslie Crosson/ Reporter

Students, faculty and the community are encouraged to attend an upcoming campus forum meeting to discuss Tarleton State University improvements and building plans for the year 2020 and beyond.

“The 2020 plan for Tarleton’s campus here at Stephenville will be to increase the number of beds in residential halls by 22 percent, add 3,000 seats to the existing 7,000 seat stadium, add two parking garages for student and faculty parking and new landscape and pedestrian friendly quads as well as the relocation of the track and field area and the closing of streets surrounding the internal area of campus,” lead planner Andrew Broderick said.

Other changes expected to be made to campus include an aquatics center being added near the Rec Center, the closing of Bender and Ferguson Halls for building of new halls and classrooms, a new Child Development Center, an expansion of Traditions hall from 180 beds to 500 and the building of a Texan Alley on the east side of the O.A. Grant Building.

“While these plans are subject to change, we hope to make the campus as a whole more pedestrian friendly and unify the internal buildings such as O.A. Grant and the Dick Smith Library with the external amenities, the historical area of campus near the Administration building and the residential halls on the north west side of campus,” Broderick said.

The agriculture farm will also be getting a face lift with a new gateway at the front entrance, a machine lab relocation and a new horticulture facility.

“We want to enhance the front gateway for a more welcoming appearance and add a covered riding arena as per student request,” Broderick said.

The plans past 2020 construction are still up for deliberation, but the building team has many ideas to provide a more edged and close knit campus for students and faculty.

The forum will be held in the Fine Arts Auditorium at 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 6.

“We hope to give the edges of campus a more defined look with new quads, pathways and street signs as well as unite all areas of the internal campus with areas for students to study and socialize throughout their stay at Tarleton,” Broderick said. “The historic areas of campus will remain unchanged to ensure tradition is upheld, while other areas will take on a more modern style to help enhance learning and cohabitation.”