Tarleton signs exchange agreement with Italian university

Dr. Craig Clifford (from left), director of Tarleton’s Honors College, President F. Dominic Dottavio, University of Urbino Rector Stefano Pivato, University of Urbino director of international studies Dr. Fabrizio Maci and Lingual IDEALE chief executive Daniele Gramolini celebrate the signing of an academic exchange between the two institutions.

STEPHENVILLE, Texas—Tarleton State University and the Università degli studi di Urbino Carlo Bo in Urbino, Italy, entered into an academic exchange agreement for students and faculty during a meeting between the two institutions’ presidents last week.

President F. Dominic Dottavio and Honors College director Dr. Craig Clifford traveled with 21 students to Urbino July 6, and met with University of Urbino’s Rector Stefano Pivato to discuss the new exchange agreement before holding a signing ceremony, officially recognizing the partnership. The agreement was signed July 8, and serves to “foster mutual friendship, promote cultural understanding and enhance academic and research opportunities” between Tarleton and the University of Urbino.

The preliminary agreement outlines activities of mutual interest upon the first study abroad by students and faculty of Tarleton’s Honors College, with hopes of expanding the university’s exchanges in the future, including the interchange of both professors and students; the sharing of educational curricula and methods, academic materials, publications and information; as well as activities to facilitate joint research.

The Università degli studi di Urbino Carlo Bo dates back to 1506 when Duke Guidobaldo I founded the “Collegio dei Dottori,” and currently has approximately 20,000 students attending classes in a community known as the ideal Renaissance city. Today, the University of Urbino is a state-run institution known for its quality instruction and research that numbers 10 faculties of study, with departments housed in historic buildings of outstanding architectural interest.

Last week’s agreement was signed just one day after Tarleton’s honors students arrived in Urbino for the college’s first-ever study abroad experience, which is focusing on the Italian Renaissance and an introduction to the Italian language. The honors students are being led by Dr. Clifford and professor of English and languages Dr. Mallory Young, along with a faculty member of the University of Urbino. The course concludes the first week of August, upon which time the group will return to the Stephenville campus.

For more information about Honors College programs at Tarleton, please visit www.tarleton.edu/honors.

Tarleton State University, a member of The Texas A&M University System, provides a student-focused, value-driven educational experience marked by academic innovation and exemplary service and dedicated to transforming students into tomorrow’s professional leaders. With campuses in Stephenville, Fort Worth, Waco, Midlothian and online, Tarleton engages with its communities to provide real-world learning experiences and to engage societal needs while maintaining its core values of integrity, leadership, tradition, civility, excellence and service.