Tarleton to offer new option for refunds

Tarleton Choice Card

As early as the upcoming Summer I and Summer II semesters, Tarleton State University students will have a new option for receiving their financial aid refunds. 

Lisa Lewis, Senior Manager of Student Account Services, and Lori Beaty, Director of Business Services, spoke about the plan to issue students debit cards.

“Tarleton has contracted with Higher One, a refund management company that’s been in existence for about 15 years,” Lewis said. “The reason that we have chosen to go with them is because it provides Tarleton students with additional choices in getting their refunds.”

Students are advised to be aware that these accounts will have fees just like any other bank account. Similar programs initiated at other universities have created some controversies when students spoke out against the fees they were not aware were being charged against their accounts.

Currently, students’ choices are to receive a paper check or have the refund deposited into an existing bank account. 

“We’ve been reviewing efficiencies and operations, trying to improve service,” Lewis said. “It will hopefully help free up our staff to help students in other, more important things.”

Beaty spoke of what the new option might mean to an active student body.

“We’re only open eight to five,” Beaty explained. “Students may have class, and can’t get here to get their check. So this is another way to get it and access it. This way, they’ll have access to their funds quick.”

Lewis went on to further explain some of the potential benefits of the Higher One accounts.

“With the debit cards, students could potentially get their refunds the same day the funds are sent to Higher One. We’ll have an ATM, possibly ATMs, on campus for students to be able to withdraw cash at no charge if they use the Higher One ATM. One thing we want to do is educate students when there will be fees accessed, since those will be things that will have to be dealt with,” Lewis said. “The program is going to be called the Tarleton Choice Card, and there will be a website that will provide the place that a student will go on and make their choice for their refund.”

Beginning in April, every student that is enrolled will receive a Tarleton Choice Card. It will look like a debit card, and can be used as one if students choose to open Higher One accounts. 

“Our contract was a strict review of what charges would be involved, so in the website I was talking about, there will be detailed information about when a student might be charged,” Lewis said. “We’re going to be making it known to our staff and to the students about how to avoid charges.”

Lewis and Beaty spoke of further information being offered to students in the near future. The marketing campaign for the program will include posters, flyers, and emails to Tarleton student email accounts.

To read more about the controversy at other universities, visit http://tinyurl.com/o2a78mj and www.cnbc.com/id/49153477.