Updated: Senate members propose changes for signs and more

Senate bill S-04-14 will be voted on at the April 2 House of Representatives meeting

Two Tarleton State University Student Government Association (SGA) Senate members have stepped forward with proposals that they believe the student body will be interested in.

Abigail Fesmire, Vice President of University Operations, and College of Education Senator Robert Hinton have presented Senate bill S-04-14 to the House of Representatives to be voted on at the April 2 meeting.

The proposed legislation S-04-14 has four main parts. Fesmire and Hinton have proposed that a speed limit sign be placed on Shirley Street, that the intersection at Sloan Street and St. Felix be changed from a two-way to a four-way stop, that mirrors be installed in the parking lots of Legacy, Legends, Centennial, and Bosque Crossing, and that all of the signs on campus be replaced with purple and white signs in keeping with the spirit of the school.

“Shirley Street, the street behind Legacy, Legends and Centennial, doesn’t have a speed limit sign on it,” Fesmire said. “There’s been a lot of confusion about the exact speed limit, so we’re calling for the implementation of an actual speed limit sign, so that way people can know exactly what the speed limit is so people aren’t getting in trouble for not realizing, and hopefully it will help pedestrians who are having to deal with people who are driving faster.”

“Ideas like the signs and the mirrors are a statement by the House and the Senate to endorse a safer campus,” Interim Chief of Police Lieutenant Alvin Allcon said.

While presenting the legislation, Hinton spoke to the House of Representatives about his previous experience with having school-colored street signs.

“I know at my high school, all of the signs around the school were converted to the school colors, it was pretty cool,” Hinton said. “We took a lot of pride in that.”

A secondary proposition has yet to be discussed with the House of Representatives, although it is also dealing with traffic on campus. Fesmire and Hinton are proposing to increase the campus-wide speed limit from 15 miles an hour to 20 miles an hour. Discussion about the potential legislation has not occurred within the House of Representatives as of yet, however the interim chief of police had something to say about the idea.

“Changing from 15 to 20, that five miles an hour is not going to be that critical for vehicle damage,” Allcon said. “But as a pedestrian situation, if a person were to be hit, five miles an hour can make a world of difference.”

Discussion and voting for the first bill will occur at the beginning of the House of Representatives meeting on Wednesday April 2, although the second bill must still be presented before being discussed and voted on.

Update: The house of representatives passed this resolution on Wednesday April 2.