Tarleton Student Publications bring home 34 awards from state convention

Representing Tarleton Student Publications at this year’s Texas Intercollegiate Press Association convention were (front, l-r) Kenneth Brisendine; (standing, l-r) director of student publications Caleb Chapman, Dawn Skinner, Lura Rylant, Brittany Broussard, Savannah Baxter, Elena Fajardo and Claire Wilkison.

The Tarleton State University Department of Student Publications consists of JTAC News and the Grassburr. Last week they traveled to San Antonio for the state level Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) conference. The department walked away with a total of 34 awards.

“Each and every day I am amazed at the talent our students possess,” Caleb Chapman, director of Student Publications, said in a media press release. “The students in our department are some of the hardest working on campus and this recognition is very much deserved.”

The TIPA convention consisted of on-site competitions, such as Yearbook Design, Feature Writing, Two-Person Photo Essay and Editorial Cartoon.

Kenneth Brisendine, JTAC News Editor-at-Large, was the only student to place in on-site contests, earning second in Editorial Cartoon.

The rest of the convention involved workshops and an awards ceremony where the awards from the 2013 school year were announced.

JTAC News received a total of 18 awards for the work published in 2013.

Brittany Broussard, Photo Editor, placed first and second in Information Graphics. The judge commented, “Incredibly informative graphic with great information and great color that tells its own story.”

Broussard also placed third in Feature Page Design, Honorable Mention in Feature Photo, second in Page One Design, second in Sports Feature Photo and second in News Photo. Brisendine placed first in General Column. The opinion piece, titled “Why I’m Faithless” was published in the April 8, 2013 print edition. The judge commented, “Unlike many college newspaper columns that reveal only surface-level thinking, this column delves deeply and boldly into a worthy issue and sparks thought in the reader. Well done.”

Leslie Crosson, a staff writer, placed third in Headline Writing and received an Honorable Mention in News Feature Story. These awards came from the same story published in the September 16, 2013 print edition titled “A Leese on Life”.

Dawn Skinner, Editor-in-Chief, received an Honorable Mention for Photo Illustration, second in Page One Design, Honorable Mention in Single Subject Design and Honorable Mention in News Story.

The Homecoming 2013 print edition published on October 31 earned second place in Special Editions.

In addition, JTAC News received Honorable Mention for Overall Excellence and ranked fourth for the coveted Sweepstakes award.

In online content, JTAC News placed first in Best Interactivity and placed third in Best Video Package. This video can be found on JTAC’s YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjxAuBdkN8E

The Grassburr, Tarleton’s yearbook received a total of 16 awards for their 2013 publication.

Claire Wilkison, Editor-in-Chief, tied for second with herself in Feature Photo for the photos on the Holi Festival and Yell Contest pages from the 2012 Grassburr. The judge commented, “Great emotion [and] close shots of faces.”

Wilkison and Broussard placed first in Academics. Wilkison also received first in Student Life Copy for the page on Duck Camp,  Honorable Mention for Academic Photo, second in Title Page, third in Feature/Student Life and third in Opening.

Maggie Tubbs and Broussard placed second in Sports. Erin Curtis earned third and Honorable Mention for Sports Copy. Tyler Whittington earned Honorable Mention for Cover Design and Clifford Jones also received Honorable Mention for Sports Action Photo.

Amberly Reil placed third in Sports Feature Photo and Skinner earned second for Academics Copy.

In addition, the Grassburr received Honorable Mention for Overall Excellence.

The department of student publications is a part of the division of student life. For more information about Tarleton Student Publications visit www.tarleton.edu/studentpublications.