“Live Green, Bleed Purple”

On Earth Day, a new container system will begin to be installed on campus, according to the Finance and Administration spring newsletter.

The Tarleton State University Department of Risk Management and Compliance is working to enhance the recycling capabilities on campus just in time for Earth Day on April 22.

The estimated pounds of waste Tarleton recycled between September 2013 and April 14, 2014 was a total of 267,242 pounds.

Currently, students can recycle items at the recycling center located at the University Farm past the horse pens or the Environmental Services office at 511 N. Neblett St.  

“For years Tarleton has recycled paper and cardboard collected within the office and academic buildings,” Director of Risk Management and Compliance Kent Styron said. “Additionally, there are collection locations for metal cans, plastics and rechargeable batteries within many campus buildings. Anyone can take acceptable recyclable materials to the University Recycling Center located at the College Farm and at the Horticulture Center.”

The Department of Risk Management conducted research by evaluating different universities and the container systems that were used for their recycling collection efforts.

According to Styron, they also wanted to learn about their best practices and challenges in order to improve the implementation process at Tarleton.

“During this process our goal was to improve upon a program that was already in place and to make it better and easier for the entire campus community to participate in the University recycling effort,” Styron said.

“The University felt the selected container systems provide a quality product and appearance while being functional in communicating the appropriate location to place various recyclable materials,” Styron said.

The design of the new container systems will attempt to reduce the chance of recyclables being mixed. According to Styron, more recyclable materials will be separated at the point of collection, which will require less labor for sorting items.

“The plan is being finalized and we will be coordinating with Janice Horak with the Department of Marketing and Communications to ensure that applicable locations and other pertinent information is communicated to the campus community in a timely manner,” Styron said.

During the week of Tarleton round-up, the University Compliance Office coordinated a Records Round-up program to place focus on the proper destruction of office records.

According to Styron, approximately 25 large containers of paper were shredded and recycled during the program. Additional Records Round-up events will be scheduled in the future.

“Tarleton will continue to explore additional programs to improve access and efforts to better inform the campus community,” Styron said.