UPDATED: Changes in the wind for Tarleton’s smoking policy

Tarleton’s new policy will encompass that found in the A&M system and will enforce the 20 foot rule in greater lengths to ensure the health of other students and faculty members who do not use tobacco products.

Changes to Tarleton State University’s current policy on tobacco use on campus will be discussed among the administration in the following weeks.These suggested alterations may lead Tarleton to a smoke-free campus.

“When I was first selected for the position of Vice President of University Operations, one of the things that I really wanted to work on was eventually transitioning Tarleton to a smoke-free campus policy,” Abigail Fesmire, Vice President of University Operations, said. “As I began to work with the Faculty Senate and began gathering input from the Student Senate and House, our position on the tobacco policy became more refined and our focus shifted more to better enforcing current university and state regulations as well as the implementation of designated smoking areas.”

The current tobacco policy states that smoking and the use of smokeless tobacco are permitted only in the areas designated on campus for students, faculty and Tarleton staff. These areas are located 20 feet away from all building entrances and the use of tobacco products indoors is prohibited.

However, it is common to find the designated cigarette trash receptacles moved from their areas away from the building to the benches under the awning at the O.A. Grant building.

“If the suggestions of the students and the faculty senate are implemented and enforced, I believe that we can expect to see a relocation of a majority of the campus’s cigarette receptacles away from doorways,” Fesmire said.

“If the smoking policy changes are enforced, I believe that overall this would positively impact students on campus by significantly reducing their exposure to cigarette smoke,” Fesmire said. “As for those using tobacco products, it would require them to only smoke in specific areas.”

Other areas of discussion will be the use of vapor nicotine products indoors as well as around the outer locations on campus.

“I have been working closely with Dr. Mark Shipman, the head of the Faculty Senate,” Fesmire said. “We hosted a discussion in both the Student Senate and the Student House to obtain the overall views of the students. Dr. Shipman took these views back to the Faculty Senate. The Faculty Senate then combined their own findings with the views presented in the Student Senate and House and issued an official suggestion to the administration of Tarleton asking for designated smoking areas and better enforcement of current university and state regulations.”

This suggested movement to a smoke-free campus has not only been a student effort, but one supported by members of the faculty senate on campus as well.

“Overall, I think that it is very inspiring to see faculty and students working together to try to help amend a problem that has affected every person in some fashion on this campus,” Fesmire said. “I am excited to see what will become of Tarleton’s smoking policy and, more importantly, how students and faculty will continue to work together for the betterment of the university in the years to come.”

UPDATE: This resolution was passed through the House of Representatives on Wednesday April 2.