Former Tarleton sophomore passes away in automobile accident

Smith, 21, lost control of his vehicle while driving to Brazos Point on Saturday.

[Former] Tarleton State University sophomore and business major Kenneth Dale Smith, 21, passed away on Saturday, March 15, 2014 from injuries sustained in an automobile accident.

Smith was on his way home to Brazos Point on Saturday and had just gone through Granbury when he lost control of his vehicle traveling downhill in the rain, and ran off the road. First 911 calls were placed about 4:35 p.m., according to Bobby Spilman, a Tarleton junior and friend of Smith. [The accident occurred just after 4:30 p.m. about 10 miles outside of Glen Rose near Chalk Mountain, according to DPS Trooper Dub Gillum.”The victim was approaching an uphill curve,” Gillum said in an interview with the Stephenville Empire Tribune, adding that Smiths car, began to hydroplane, causing the vehicle to skid into the southbound lane. “His vehicle was broadsided on the passenger side by a red 2011 Dodge Ram pickup.”]

“[Kenneth] didn’t have a lot of friends, but the friends he did have…were very close,” Bobby Spilman, a Tarleton junior and friend of Smith, said. “He was an awesome guy, definitely [had] a one-of-a-kind humor, always wit-equipped.”

Smith and Spilman met their first year of college, when they were both late to their first 6 p.m. math class and ended up taking the only two adjacent seats left. The two had both been dorm mates since their freshman year, and had bought a house with two other friends in July of 2013 and lived there since.

“He was very nerdy, much like myself,” Spilman reflected. “He loved stuff like Risk, Dungeons and Dragons…He liked video games, obviously, who doesn’t?”

Spilman said he remembers the time he spent with Smith fondly.

“He was a pretty cool guy,” said Spilman. “He was my best friend.”

Visitation services for Kenneth Smith will be held tonight, Tuesday, March 18, from 5 to 7 p.m. at Crosier-Pearson-Cleburne. Graveside services will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Brazos Point Cemetery.

Correction: Smith was a former student at Tarleton State University. Also, the location of the accident was a false statement.  We apologize for the misunderstanding.