New features to be added to Rec Center and campus

A new aquatics center will be added to the Rec Center.

Construction on campus can be expected to increase in the immediate future as student attendance steadily grows. Several plans are in the works to improve facilities as well as expanding the overall square footage of Tarleton State University.

“A program of requirements (POR) has been drawn up for the new aquatics center to be added on to the Rec Center,” Vice President for Student Life Rusty Jergins said.

The POR has addressed the need for an aquatic center as being a facility that includes locker rooms, bathrooms, dressing rooms and swimming areas for students and faculty. Though no plans have been set in stone, Robert Nimmo, Director of the Rec Center, has visited with other universities across Texas to gain inspiration for Tarleton’s aquatic center.

“We want the best for what we can offer Tarleton State University students and have toured several campuses to see what would work best for our campus and what students would be able to utilize at its greatest potential,” Nimmo said.

Construction of the aquatics center is still far off seeing as many other projects will need to be completed prior to its ground breaking.

“The renovation on Memorial Stadium will come first to ensure we have enough space for each new campus requirement,” Jergins said. “Once this is completed, additional residential halls and an expanded parking area will follow suit.”

The majority of these projects are still in the first stages of development, but students can expect to see a campus geared toward advancement and knowledge growth by 2020.

“We are looking at what is appropriate for Tarleton,” Jergins said. “The vision for the future will be designed with what is expected for student success and to improve the overall college experience. The aquatics center will serve as not only a place for leisure but as a location for academic expansion and student health and wellness.”