A Day in the Life of Dr. Dottavio

A Day in the Life of Dr. Dottavio

Being the president of a public University with over 10,000 students is no easy job.

Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio took on the role of Tarleton State President in 2008, and has had a pivotal role in the University’s growth. While students are busy preparing themselves for their futures and professors are preparing their courses for maximum potential, president Dottavio is busy making sure Tarleton is a place that is capable of offering students everything they need to gain success.

The type of business Dottavio might handle in a single day varies from one week to the next, as he works to continue to build success for Tarleton.

There are some things about his day that the President is sure to keep consistent. One of these consistencies is that Dottavio’s mornings begin early, starting with a healthy breakfast with his wife Dr. C. Lisette Dottavio.

“I wake up at 6 am to KTRL, the local Tarleton radio station,” Dottavio stated. “My wife and I make a point of having a light but healthy breakfast. I get my coffee when I get to the office.”

Once situated within his office, Dottavio’s schedule becomes a little less typical as he meets with various people for various reasons. On some occasions, his work takes him off campus.

“Just as an example, I’ve just met with our Information Technology people,” Dottavio stated about his schedule. “Then I’m heading to the airport to San Diego for an NCAA convention. Tomorrow, I chair a meeting of the Lone Star Conference. Saturday I have a meeting with the alumni association in Fort Worth…”

Even with a schedule that takes him around and even off campus, Dottavio works to ensure there is always on key consistency.

“If there is anything consistent between weeks, I would say it is that I try to meet with my cabinet, if possibly, on a weekly basis as whole group.” Dottavio stated. “Individually, I try to meet with each member for a designated period of time on a regular basis.”

Such a busy schedule means that Dottavio’s work extends well into the evenings.

“It’s very typical that I’ll have some kind of event, either in the community, or a donor-community relations event, or- importantly, a student event to attend.” Dottavio stated.

These events are not the only way in which his work manages to make its way home with him. Dottavio also admitted that he often checks emails and texts in the evenings.

“I would say it’s typical of anyone in any kind of leadership position or other kinds of staff roles.” Dottavio stated.

At the end of the day, when most of the work is left at the office, the Dottavio’s use exercise as a form of relaxation.

“My wife and I try to be as consistent as we possibly can about having some form of exercise in the evening.” Dottavio stated. “We’ve been doing P90X for over a year now.”

Aside from exercise, Dottavio explained that the TV show 24 was another way for the couple to unwind at the end of the day.

“When 24 was on, we really love to watch it. We were delighted to see that a new season of episodes of 24 is going to start soon.” Dottavio stated.

With such an early start to the day, and with such a full schedule in between, Dr. Dottavio explained that the evenings usually end around the same time.

“We’re usually in bed at about 11,” Dottavio stated. “Sometimes a little later, sometimes a little earlier, but we typically get about seven hours, and wake up to KTRL to start again.”

Dr. Dottavio has devoted day after day to making Tarleton the university it is today, and even throughout all of the inconsistencies, Tarleton’s President has managed to establish a routine for success.