Student body decision to affect SGA constitution

Senate bill S-04-14 will be voted on at the April 2 House of Representatives meeting

Voting for changes of the Student Government Association’s (SGA) constitution will be placed before the student body the week of March 24. The 01-14 Bill has already been passed unanimously through the Senate and the House of Representatives.

“This will be an internal increase to the number of senators we have representing our constituents in the SGA as well as giving students a better chance of having their voices heard,” Student Body President Chance Cerda said.

The Senate will increase each area of representation by one and hope to add three Greek seats as well as three athletic seats. The sophomore, junior and senior Senate seats will be dissolved and students will be represented by their college of study rather than classification.

“This is not a new idea,” Cerda said. “We are not looking to do something unheard of to our Senate; we are simply trying to make it easier for our constituents to contact senate members when they have an issue or an idea to better campus.”

This increase to the senate will also eliminate the cancelling out of opposing votes from the same area of representation by changing the number of seats from two to three.

Along with the major constitutional change, senate members also hope to better clarify a section of the constitution and wish to change the current Senate seat’s length in office from June 1 – May 31 to May 2 – May 1.

“Changing the date of the senator’s time in office will eliminate the issue of having a president or secretary graduate at the beginning of May and remaining in office until the end of the month,” Cerda said. “Students will have representation by Senate for the full year rather than 11 months.”

Though some debate was had on the bill, it was passed unanimously through both the Senate and the House of Representatives by a two-thirds vote and will be placed before the student body for further decision.

“The administration is overwhelmed,” College of Education senator Robert Hinton said. “The SGA needs to represent the students and the students need a voice. Our Greek life and Athletic programs are growing and I know several people who would love to represent their group as a senate member. This bill will give Tarleton a better opportunity at progress in legislature on campus as well as giving every student a chance to make a difference.”