Board of Regents authorizes more student housing

JTAC News will provide up-to-date information about the forum once it has concluded.

With the number of students enrolling at Tarleton State University continuously on the rise, Tarleton and Stephenville have been working to keep up with the demand for living space for students.

To this affect, the Tarleton Board of Regents has authorized the execution of a ground lease and management agreement for the construction of more privatized student housing.

Balfour Beatty, the company contracted to build Tarleton’s newest Heritage Hall, has been hired to construct new privatized housing for Tarleton residents.

Following the demolition of College Point II apartments, Balfour Beatty will begin construction for the new housing at the corner of Lillian and Frey.

The newest housing project is expected to be completed August 2015, Executive Director of Student Life Development Dr. Mike Leese explained.

“The new unit will have a 500 bed capacity and sophomore-style housing, which could also be used for first-years,” Leese said. “Some two bedroom, mostly four-bedroom. Each student has a private bedroom, living room area and kitchenette, although a meal plan will still be required.”

As part of the ground lease agreement, Balfour Beatty also purchased the University Village apartments directly across Lillian.

These units will be operated and managed by Tarleton until the space is ready for new housing.