Greek life aims to redefine standards

Tarleton Greek Life

Greek life at Tarleton State University is thriving. Between four Panhellenic sororities, six InterFraternity Council fraternities, and six InterGreek Council organizations, Greeks make up over 10 percent of the student body. Media portrayal of these groups has perpetuated a stereotypical image of the Greek system – wild parties abound and hazing is an accepted part of the recruitment process.

However, according to Taylor Watson, Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Life, these ideals are far from the truth.

JTAC News (JTAC): What are some of the negative stereotypes that you believe are harmful to Greek life here at Tarleton?

Watson: I think that many students think that being Greek is all about partying but it is much more.  Through Greek life, students are given great opportunities to learn real world skills such as time management, budgeting, event planning, how to run a meeting, and how to interact with people from different walks of life.  Greek life also heavily centers around grades and philanthropy.  Each year the Greek national GPA is above the national non-Greek GPA and Greek chapters on this campus continually donate more time and money than any other organization.

The other misconception about Greek life is that we pay for our friends.  We do pay dues each year but they are broken down to help run the chapters.   Dues go towards philanthropies, traveling to conferences, insurances, national dues to keep the national offices equipped and staffed, and for fun things such as social events, chapter team building events, and clothing items such as t-shirts, hats, etc.  Any thriving organization will have dues that are to be paid regardless of Greek or non-Greek affiliation.  Chapters on this campus range in cost from 50 to 100 dollars a month, which in comparison to larger schools is a fraction of the cost.

JTAC: What changes is Greek life making to put a stop to these stereotypes?

Watson: I am coordinating workshops that will deal with leadership, volunteerism, and alcohol education.  Greek 101 is a new event that will be for all new Greek life members every fall after recruitment is over and it will cover topics such as classroom success, alcohol and other drug education, sexual assault education and how to stay safe at the bar scene which is so prevalent in here Stephenville, and leadership training.  We will also have national speakers continue to come in and share their stories with the students.  Another thing that I am trying to do is shed light on the good that these chapters accomplish each year.  I am working with the JTAC to highlight the philanthropy and positive events that each chapter does each year.

JTAC: Do you believe that these stereotypes (particularly partying, drinking, etc.) make new students more likely to engage in these activities because they believe it is the norm?

Watson: I really don’t believe it does.  Most students who go through recruitment are looking for the same thing—a home away from home while they are here on campus.  Students are looking for a new family that will [help them] grow during their time at TSU.  Greek life is a great place to find your niche on campus and it is an easy way to meet people and to learn about other opportunities that are offered at Tarleton.  The chapters also offer accountability that comes with GPA requirements for active membership.  Most students who go Greek are looking to be a part of something that is bigger than themselves.

JTAC: How much influence do you think the behavior of Greek students has on the rest of the student body?

Watson: I would like to think that Greeks have a tremendous influence on the campus and student body.  They represent over 10 percent of the on campus students and they are in various key positions across the university from SGA Vice President, to SWAT president, to RLs, to TTMs, and many others.  They have the numbers and positions to be great movers and shakers at Tarleton.   Without Greek chapters, many of our traditions would be very different.  In the past years, Greek chapters have made up the majority if not the total participation in events such as Yell Contest, Beating the Drum, Silver Bugle Hunt, Homecoming Parade, May Fete, and Leadership and Service awards.  I believe that these students are capable of creating a wave of change on this campus by continuing to voice their opinions and putting themselves in key roles that can effect transformation for Tarleton State.