Tarleton freshman receives first ever President’s Core Values Coin

Reese Nicholson became the first student to be presented with the President’s Core Values Coin on Feb. 18.

Tarleton State University freshman Reese Nicholson never thought twice about driving to Comanche to help a friend in need, but after his Good Samaritan act of kindness, Nicholson was awarded the very first Tarleton Core Values coin.

Nicholson’s close friend was in a car accident in Comanche. The young lady sent out a text message telling her friends her car was totaled, but she was fine. Nicholson wasn’t buying it, so he drove the distance and brought her back to Stephenville, sat up with her during the night to comfort her, and waited for her parents to drive the three hours from their hometown.

The young lady’s father then wrote a letter to President F. Dominic Dottavio bragging on the young man’s kindness and actions.

Dottavio’s assistant then called Nicholson asking him to come to the president’s office.

“I didn’t think I was in trouble or anything. I just kept thinking ‘there’s no possible way!’ I haven’t done anything. Well, then I found out about the letter her [the friend] parents had written to Dotavio and my dad wanted to come just to find out what was happening,” Nicholson said.

The Nicholson’s went to the meeting and spoke with Dottavio and Dr. Kyle McGregor, the Chief of Staff. Then, the school president brought out the coin and presented it to him.

“Everything was normal, then he brought out this coin and explained what it meant and represented. When he finally said it was the first one he has ever given to anyone, I realized how big of an honor it was. At that point I realized I was the first and only one with the coin,” Nicholson said.

According to Nicholson, the presentation of the coin was Dottavio’s way of recognizing the deed Nicholson had done and how he had lived up to the university’s core values, which are integrity, leadership, tradition, civility, excellence, and service.

Nicholson is a Holland, Texas native. He came to Tarleton to study Kinesiology and Fitness Management to become a muscle massage therapist.

“This just feels right,” Nicholson commented about why he chose to attend Tarleton.