UPDATE: Campus closure

With the recent “IcePocalypse2013”, as mentioned on the social networks, Tarleton State University has experienced many closures and delays during an important week for students.  The most recent closure was today at 2 p.m.

If the university is closed during a final time spot, students need to check their go.tarleton email or blackboard for rescheduling times from instructors.

Dr. Dwayne Snider, associate vice president for academic affairs, has issued the following statement:

“Instructors will be charged with coordinating with each department to reschedule such final exam slots for each section. Academic affairs will be asking that this be coordinated at the departmental level and for instructors to use communication methods to get the information to students in the section. However, this does not remove the responsibility for students to be checking on the rescheduled slots. Please do not call before mid-afternoon Monday, Dec. 9, as departments and instructors need time to make plans, but if you have not heard this afternoon about the rescheduled time for a final exam slot missed because of weather closing, please contact the instructor. If she/he is not available, then check with the department office.

“Academic affairs wishes to provide flexibility for instructors to choose alternative formats or rescheduling decisions for each section, but has offered the following guidelines for instructors and departments to consider and to choose if an acceptable alternative is not found.

“Typically, final exam slots missed on Friday, Dec. 6, have been scheduled at the same time slot on Friday, Dec. 13. Typically, the final exam slot missed from 8-10:30 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 9, has been scheduled for Friday evening, Dec. 13, from 6:30-9 p.m. 

“Instructors and departments are searching for appropriate times to reschedule Saturday final exam slots.”

The University has not released a statement determining how to reschedule finals stated for this afternoon.

Even though the University is closed, other services will remain open including the following: 

The library is open 24/7 until finals are over, unless otherwise noticed.

The Rec Center will remain open till 6 p.m. today.

The Thompson Student Center will remain open till 11 p.m. and the OZONE till 10 p.m.. Free Coffee and Hot tea will be served at the information desk.

The Dining Hall, University Police, Maintenance, Residential Living and Learning and the University Control Center will also remain open. 

UPDATE (12/09):

All Tarleton State University locations, including Stephenville, Southwest Metroplex Center in Fort Worth, Weatherford, Waco and Midlothian, will be closed Tuesday, Dec. 10.

Due to the ongoing winter weather, Academic Affairs has announced the rescheduling of final exam slots missed on Friday, Dec. 6, Monday, Dec. 9, and Tuesday, Dec. 10.  This notice applies to all Tarleton campuses.

All final exams set for Friday, Dec. 6 will be held on Friday, Dec. 13, at the originally scheduled times.

All final exams scheduled for Monday, Dec. 9, except for the MWF 11 exam which was given on time from 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., will be taken next Monday, Dec. 16, at the originally scheduled times.

All final exams for Tuesday, Dec. 10, will be rescheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 17, at originally appointed times.

Students are encouraged to stay in touch with individual instructors as instructors are being encouraged to look for a viable alternative that works for that particular section. 

However, if such a viable alternative is not found then the final exam slots missed will be made up at the time as indicated above.

The university’s other divisions are working with Academic Affairs to provide needed services available for students on the extended final examination schedule made necessary by campus closures.

To view the revised fall 2013 final examination schedule, please visit http://www.tarleton.edu/registrar/updatedfinalschedule.html.

Commencement exercises set for Saturday, Dec. 14, will be held as scheduled.

UPDATE (12/10):

Residence halls will remain open to accommodate the new finals schedule. Residential Living & Learning has issued the following statement:

“Residential Living & Learning will continue to support students as you prepare for semester finals. Tarleton has adjusted its finals schedule to accommodate the inclement weather, and our residence halls will adjust the final closure date to meet the needs of students as they complete those exams. During safe driving conditions, we ask residents to check out of their residence hall within 24 hours of their last final exam if that date is prior to the holiday hall closure date. Students who are scheduled to take an exam will have the ability to remain in their residential space in order to complete their exams.”

The following are updated times for what will remain open on campus: 

The Dining Hall remains open at its regular hours through Tuesday, Dec. 17, when it will close at 2 p.m. The convenience store and coffee shop have resumed normal hours and will also close at 2 p.m. next Tuesday.

The Dick Smith Library is open continuously until 10 p.m. Friday, Dec. 13. Days and hours may be extended at a later time.

The Barry B. Thompson Student Center is open until 11 p.m. today.

The Food Court inside the student center is operating under normal hours and will remain open thorugh Friday, Dec. 20.

The Rec Center opened at 10 a.m. today and will close at 11 p.m.

The Tarleton Campus Store will be closed today, Dec. 10. Hours will be extended through Tuesday of next week for buyback and rental check in. The hours for Monday and Tuesday will be 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. The store is also open this Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.