Bachelors of public health to be offered on campus

Tarleton State University will offer students the opportunity to earn a degree in public health at a bachelor’s level in spring 2014.

“This major will be geared toward students who have a desire to help others in the field of health care,” Program Director Sally Hoger said.

This degree will offer 10 specialized public health courses that will help students prepare for a masters or doctorate should they choose to do so. The job market for this major includes work as a health educator to teach communities about healthy behaviors as well as work in laboratories, hospitals, clinics, private companies and insurance agencies.

“This degree is usually only offered at a graduate level, but with the growing need for health care delivery the market has expanded,” Hoger said. “The job market outlook for health educators is expected to expand by 37 percent between now and 2020 because there is an increased need for educators to teach healthy habits.”

Public health is often confused with medical care, but there are actually major differences between the two areas.

“Public health often deals with prevention and health promotion while medical care mainly encompasses treatment,” Hoger said. “A public health degree allows students to become involved with disease research, coming up with ways to prevent and implementing programs that support prevention and promotion.”

Masters and doctorate programs are offered within the Texas A&M University system as well as through the University of North Texas Health Science Center.

“Not every medical student is interested or suited for a career as a doctor or nurse, so this degree gives them more options in the fields of medicine and health care,” Hoger said.