Tarleton student voted into national position

On Aug. 7th, Savannah Hulsey, a Tarleton State University Agricultural Communications major, was elected during the 15th annual Agricultural Media Summit in Buffalo NY, to be editor of the National Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow (NACT) organization. This position, as part of the NACT officer team, is an honor to be elected into by students representing ACT collegiate chapters across the nation. The Glen Rose, Texas native has been actively involved in this organization on the Tarleton campus.

“Savannah has experience in social media as well as a friendly, people-oriented personality,” said Jennifer Enocksen, National ACT 2nd Vice President. “These traits are very important to the position she was elected to. As the editor she will be in charge of all NACT social media. I feel that she will help us raise awareness about ACT through social media outlets and represent our organization proudly at Tarleton.”

According to the NACT website, “The vision of National Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow is to be the leading collegiate organization in developing and strengthening agricultural communication students through professional growth opportunities and educational programs. The Mission of National ACT is to build relationships among agricultural communication professionals and college students and faculty, to provide professional and academic development for members and to promote agriculture through communications efforts.”

Hulsey is enthusiastic about her new position and is looking forward to the impact she can make on the organization nationally and in the chapter of the organization located at Tarleton.

“I feel I can benefit ACT by demonstrating my passion for agriculture through practicing my strong experience in social media. I plan to increase our participation levels across the nation by completely utilizing our social media platforms,” Hulsey said. “ACT targets any collegiate individual pursuing a career in the agricultural industry. Having a Tarleton student holding a position on the national level not only benefits the agricultural program itself, but also reflects greatly on other students. They [Tarleton students] have a slight benefit and a sense of pride in knowing one of their own Tarleton students is actively involved in a professional organization such as ACT.”

When asked her feelings about holding this new position and what she is looking forward to she responded, “I feel like reality hasn’t quite set in yet. It’s still unreal to me that I hold a national position in this wonderful organization. I am extremely honored and thankful to have been elected as editor. I am looking forward to what all our newly elected officer team can accomplish this year. We have lots of things planned and I am excited to watch them play out.”

Hulsey’s experiences at Tarleton have greatly helped her journey to arrive prepared at the position she has been elected to.

“My background in social media I have experienced while at Tarleton has fully prepared me for this position. I am the current editor for Tarleton’s ACT Chapter where I update and maintain all social media platforms concerning our chapter’s activities. I also hold an Executive position as Treasurer in Sigma Alpha, a professional agricultural sorority, where I update and maintain our public Facebook page, as well as created our Twitter account. Because of these experiences, the position as Editor on the national level is the perfect position for me.”

Hulsey says the organization has “allowed me to further educate myself in the agriculture industry as well as network with professionals all over the nation. I have had the opportunity to practice and develop my social media skills which I will use in my future profession.”

For information about the national organization, visit www.nactnow.org. The Tarleton branch organization’s information can be found at http://www.tarleton.edu/act/, or by calling 254-968-9200 or emailing [email protected].

“To become involved in ACT all you need to do is show up to your university chapter’s meeting. It’s that easy,” Enocksen said.