Bill that would allow concealed weapons on campus passes the House

On May 4, 2013 several bills came before the Texas House of Representatives regarding the Second Amendment to the constitution, which protects the right to keep and bear arms and prevents the federal government from seizing firearms from law-abiding citizens without cause. Recently, however, the federal government has considered enacting measures that challenge this protection based on questionable constitutional grounds. These bills, which have passed the House, reflect an attempt to prevent the federal government from encroaching on these rights.

One bill in particular directly affects the safety of students on campus and has been met with some controversy. House Bill 972 allows concealed handgun license-holders to bring firearms into university buildings if the school chooses to let them. It would remove the criminalization of those license holders who bring guns into buildings, previously a third-degree felony. Schools would have to define rules for bringing firearms into sporting events and for the securing of weapons in university housing.

For some faculty, this new bill will put classroom safety at risk. Dr. Marcy Tanter, Associate Professor in the English Department, said, “I am not comfortable with having guns in our classroom buildings. I am not concerned about someone coming in and shooting, I am concerned about the possibility of a gun going off accidentally in someone’s purse or backpack.”

She sees gun accidents as being a greater danger due to the nearness of people at a busy, bustling university like Tarleton.

“Given the close proximities we are in on campus, the risk of an accident causing harm seem greater to me and I just don’t want to have to worry about it with everything else that’s part of my job,” explained Dr. Tanter.

Even if there was a reason to use the guns on campus for protection, this doesn’t mean that those citizens carrying guns have proper experience at using them.

“I’m all for guns on campus, as long as they’re only wielded by Peace Officers,” said Dr. Moumin Quazi, Associate Professor of English.

Some students are also concerned for their personal well-being. Senior Anna Felix expressed concern for her own safety not only in the classrooms but even more so where students reside.

“I am also uncomfortable with guns in the classroom, but I’m more concerned about the fact that the state is allowing guns to be in dormitories. That allowance stays in place until each institution establishes regulations for it, and that is terrifying to me. The more dangerous items in an area there are, the higher the probability that there will be an accident, and to add in the recklessness of students out on their own for the first time would just increase those chances. I don’t feel like that kind of danger should be brought into any educational institution,” said Felix.

This bill, as well as the other handgun bills, have yet to be voted on by the Senate before becoming law.