Co-Founder of Sony Pictures Classics Michael Barker vistis TSU

On the afternoon of Feb. 26, students and faculty of Tarleton State University had the honor of Mr. Michael Barker’s presence on campus. Barker is Co-President and Co-Founder of Sony Pictures Classics, along with his partner Tom Bernard. Barker gave a lunchtime presentation at a brown bag lecture in the Math building Room 109 and, immediately following, a presentation to Dr. Robert Anderson’s Video Production class in the Business building Room 206.

Sony Pictures Classics produces and markets between 16 and 22 independent films per year, with familiar titles such as ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,’ ‘Midnight in Paris,’ and ‘Kung Fu Hustle.’ Although Barker and his endeavours have been honored with several awards and achievements, one being his usual seat among Hollywood stars at the Oscars, he had very humble beginnings, not unlike many students at Tarleton.

Barker attended high school in Oak Cliff, Texas along with Tarleton’s own communications professor, Dan Malone, who he remains friends with today. He then went to the University of Texas, where he acquired a Communications degree. Barker began his career small in the early 80’s, typing invoices and eventually working up to a salesman position. At that point he met his partner, Tom, and they set off with their own independent branch of film marketing, which has led to it becoming the big name it is today.

He explained his general job description and duties of film marketing, which involves selecting what films will be supported and creating TV spots, posters, and general advertising to gain an audience for these films. He shared what his typical day is like, meeting with famous film makers and producers, receiving up to 50 phone calls, and his current count of 1800 unread emails on his Blackberry.

The information Barker shared showed that he is a prime example of reward through hard work. The advice he shared hit home for the students attending, many of whom were Communications majors.

“Movies are a very unpredictable business,” Barker said. “But I can’t think of a better time to get into film and communications.”

He also shared advice all attendees could relate to, and emphasized on the importance of “doing what you love,” and basing goals in life around that. Many of the questions raised for Barker to answer had to do with how one gets a good start in their career.

“I think it’s important to pay attention to your passion, and it’s also important to pay attention to meaningful coincidences… Your talent is your desire,” Barker said.