Tarleton receives $410K grant for Upward Bound program

Media Relations

Tarleton State University has received a $410,646 grant from the U.S. Department of Education for the continued support of its Upward Bound program.

The grant will fund the program in its first budget period from Sept. 1, 2012, through Aug. 31, 2013, and it is anticipated that the grant will provide additional funding for five years.

Tarleton’s Upward Bound is one of several TRIO programs funded by the U.S. Department of Education that are designed to provide a wide range of academic and cultural enrichment for low-income and potential first-generation college students.

“Upward Bound is proven to be effective in preparing under-provided area high school students for college. College graduation rates for Tarleton Upward Bound participants are 40 percent higher than the state and national averages,” said Jenny Watts, director of the program. “Moreover, funding for an Upward Bound program is incredibly competitive. The fact that Tarleton has been able to secure funding for an Upward Bound program for 30 years speaks to the commitment of the institution and our community who value education.”

Established on the Tarleton campus in 1982, Upward Bound has since provided free services that have ensured hundreds of Cross Timbers area high school students gained the necessary skills and motivation to pursue a post-secondary education. Program participants must be potential first-generation college students, low-income individuals, or those who face a high risk for academic failure.

Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance with the program’s goal to increase the rates at which participants enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.

For more information about Upward Bound at Tarleton, visit http://www.tarleton.edu/upwardbound/.