Students to receive $5 printing allowance each semester

Media Relations

Tarleton State University’s Executive Cabinet has approved a revised recommendation regarding the student printing policy, which will now provide each student with a $5 printing allowance each semester.

The new printing policy, set to take effect June 1, 2012, was approved by the Executive Cabinet after a recommendation from the Student Printing Initiative Committee. It allows for each Tarleton student to receive a $5 allowance at the start of each semester, fall, spring and summer.

The $5 allowance will be credited to each student. Any unused printing allowance will not roll over from semester to semester. There are no refunds for unused portions of the $5 allowance, and if additional printing is needed students may add funds to their Texan Card account.

The Executive Cabinet’s revised policy states that allocations of printing credit will not be created for mini-mesters and other derivatives of the fall, spring and summer semesters. However, remaining balances will be available during each interim until the start of the next long or summer semester.

Revisions to the student printing policy that was originally proposed in January 2012, were based on the committee’s conversations during the spring semester as well as from Student Government Association (SGA) feedback.

The major factor driving the university’s decision to implement a student printing fee was the amount of waste that computer labs and the Dick Smith Library have experienced on a daily basis, as well as increased costs for printing, paper and toner.

All computer workstations in the Dick Smith Library, open access labs located at Stephenville, instructional computer labs located at Hickman, Schaeffer and Stephenville, and Texan Hall at Hickman will require charging for printing. Costs for printing on university network printers, effective June 1, 2012, are as follows:

Simplex Printing (one-sided): 5 cents per sheet

Duplex Printing (two-sided): 8 cents per sheet

Color Printing (one-sided): 15 cents per sheet

Color Printing (two-sided): 18 cents per sheet

For more information about the new student printing fee, please visit www.tarleton.edu/savepaper. Additional information about the Texan Card and how to add funds to the university issued ID card can be found at www.tarleton.edu/texancard.