MCC Counseling Center hosts grand opening ceremony

Media Relations

The doors are officially open to a new resource available to students attending McLennan Community College’s (MCC) University Center, including Tarleton students, as officials gathered Tuesday, April 17 for a ceremonial grand opening of the Counseling Center.

“The opening of this Counseling Center is about making a difference in the lives of our students and the community,” said Dr. David Weissenburger, professor of psychology and associate vice president for enrollment management at Tarleton.

During the ceremony, Weissenburger said the Counseling Center serves as an example of Tarleton President F. Dominic Dottavio’s emphasis on real-world experiences for students.

“The counseling clinic that you see today is a great example of how this strategic goal is being fulfilled. Under Dr. Dottavio’s leadership, the partnership between MCC, Tarleton and the greater Waco community continues to grow and have a positive impact. The clinic is no longer a dream but a reality,” Weissenburger said.

Tarleton and MCC opened the Counseling Center on Jan. 23. The agreement between the two institutions provides students with free personal counseling and offers intern experiences for Tarleton graduate students.

Clinic director Dr. Allison Stewart, who will oversee the daily operations of the center, said counseling services are available to students attending Tarleton or MCC, as well as those enrolled with other university center partners who are taking courses in Waco.

“Today was a momentous occasion in the partnership between Tarleton and MCC,” Stewart said. “Tarleton graduate students in the psychology and counseling department have been providing counseling services through their supervised field placement to MCC as well as other Tarleton students since the beginning of this semester. With the larger space, we will be able to expand services by increasing individual counseling appointments as well as adding group counseling to achieve our mission of enhancing wellness and quality of life.”

Stewart added that the new center is equipped with video monitoring to enhance the training experience for the graduate students. “The feedback we have received on campus thus far this semester has been overwhelmingly positive. We expect to make an even greater impact from this point forward,” she said.

To provide for the new service, MCC refurbished office space and completed the renovations at the university center in March.

Counselors will work with students who present a wide variety of issues, ranging from adjustment disorders, substance abuse, stress management, family crisis, academic concerns, and relationship and developmental problems.

Referrals to community resources will be available for students needing services beyond what the Counseling Center can provide. Counseling will be available from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to noon on Fridays.

Supervisors at the new Counseling Center will include MCC and Tarleton professionally licensed staff and faculty, said Stewart. She added that the practicum program will provide training in individual and group counseling for Tarleton students, who typically will be in their second or third year of their master’s program in counseling or counseling psychology.

Students with personal counseling needs may contact the Counseling Center at 254-299-8210. Students with immediate counseling needs may also be referred directly to the MCC Student Services Center, room 313, although calling for an appointment is preferred.

For more information about Tarleton’s Student Counseling Center, located on the Stephenville campus, visit www.tarleton.edu/counseling/index.html.