Grassburr adds to accolades

The J-TAC

The student staffers of the Grassburr were all smiles upon returning from the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association conference last month.

The 2011 book, which marked the 93rd edition of the Grassburr, won seven awards at the Previously Published Contest during the conference held in Corpus Christi.

“The Grassburr staff has a lot to be proud of,” said Caleb Chapman, director of Student Publications at Tarleton State University. “The students work hard all year long to create the Grassburr and it’s nice for them to be recognized for that.”

Tarleton competed against nine other universities and colleges including University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Rice University, West Texas A&M University and Sul Ross State University.

The Grassburr won second place for sports copy, third place for a photo story of Yell Contest, third for the opening spread and third place for end sheets. The yearbook was also recognized for the story on Homecoming and a football/basketball sports package.

“The yearbook is an historical document for the university,” Chapman said. “So the students take pride when creating every page.”

The Grassburr was first published for Tarleton in 1916. In 2006, Tarleton students voted to pass a referendum to save the publication from extinction and keep the tradition alive.

Copies of the 2011 Grassburr are still available for pick-up at the Student Publications office located in the Thompson Student Center. Earlier editions are also available. For more information, visit http://www.tarleton.edu/grassburr/index.html.