Hinson named Tarleton’s outreach director at Weatherford College

Media Relations

Lillian Hinson has been named Tarleton State University’s director of undergraduate outreach/teacher development at Weatherford College.

She will play a key role in recruiting, advising and teaching students in the interdisciplinary studies completion program.

An agreement with Weatherford College allows students in three disciplines to earn Tarleton undergraduate degrees without leaving Weatherford. The degrees are a B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies-Teacher Education (Grades EC-6), a B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies-Teacher Education (Grades EC-6 Bilingual) and a B.S. in Psychology.

“I spent the majority of my career in the elementary classroom,” Hinson said. “The first three years of my work in higher education involved teaching and advising at-risk students, which gave me the experience needed to transition into this new role. I think it’s the perfect position for me.”

Hinson graduated from Tarleton with a B.S. in education in 1985 and earned an M.A. in education from Fontbonne University in St. Louis, Mo., in 2010. From 1987 until 2008 she taught elementary students in the Decatur, Texas ISD. She has worked at Weatherford College since 2008, most recently as adjunct instructor in developmental English and learning frameworks.

“Tarleton has a long history of partnering with Weatherford College,” said Dr. Jill Burk, dean of the College of Education. “This position was created because of a College of Education grant to recruit and develop future teachers in partnership with a community college. Over time the role has expanded.

“Lillian Hinson is uniquely qualified for this position as she has strong ties to both institutions,” Burk added. “We are delighted to have her involved in this important partnership with Weatherford College.”