Tarleton recognizes three employees for service, dedication to university

Media Relations

Three Tarleton employees recently received surprise visits from university President F. Dominic Dottavio and members of the Employee Recognition Subcommittee, and were presented awards for their contributions to the university and community. As part of the employee recognition program, now in its third year, staff members received trophies specifically designed to reflect their awards and $1,500, plus a day of paid vacation.

Impact Award: The Impact Award recognizes a staff member who displays outstanding problem solving, resourcefulness and innovation toward reducing university costs and improving safety.

Terry Pritchett, a four-year employee who serves as Tarleton’s director of facilities maintenance, is regarded as having provided many resourceful solutions to problems not only at the university, but also as a board member with the Texas Association of Physical Plant Administrators.

With respect to cost savings, Mr. Pritchett oversaw a consolidation and reduction in force but continued to meet campus expectations by working with his staff to improve work processes during the recent round of budget reductions. Among his cost-saving efforts were repairs to the university’s irrigation storage tanks in order to extend the life of the system and to postpone their replacement.

Mr. Pritchett’s resourcefulness, skills and abilities have also brought awareness of cost-savings to his managers and supervisors who, in turn, have been able to solicit employees’ suggestions to “fix” items rather than replace them. Safety is also a priority under Mr. Pritchett’s leadership. The staff in the Facilities Maintenance Department has gone a full year without a lost-time accident as Mr. Pritchett continually supports safety and continuing training for all employees.

“Terry is constantly leading the way in improving work processes at Tarleton,” wrote colleague Steve Fouts. “Last year, with his leadership we brought in a new vendor for the campus water treatment facility. We now have a state-of-the-art water treatment system for the campus loop that will monitor the system and greatly reduce our chances of a major equipment failure.”

In addition, he recently accepted the added responsibility of overseeing the Environmental Services Department along with its manager, and as a result, they have increased productivity and lowered costs-the first time in many years that the two departments’ budgets will not experience an overrun.

In nomination letters, another colleague wrote: “Mr. Pritchett understands well the principle of subsidiarity, which allows for decisions to be made at the lowest levels of management, and takes the initiative for himself and his staff to make such decisions.”

Horizon Award: The Horizon Award recognizes a staff member who volunteers their time or resources to the betterment of their community, thereby building and maintaining relationships that extend the reputation and impact of Tarleton, or is an active member of an organization providing Tarleton students leadership and service opportunities leading to student success.

Daron Trussell, assistant director of recreational sports, has been employed at Tarleton since 2007 and volunteers many hours to organizations outside of his job with the university.

Mr. Trussell serves as the advisor to Kappa Delta Rho Fraternity by providing advice and counsel to the young men, and serves as vice president of Keep Stephenville Beautiful, a non-profit organization devoted to litter clean-up and beautification efforts in the community. Outside of his normal duties, he also works with Tarleton’s School-Wide Activities Team (SWAT) and assists with student programming efforts.

Colleagues credit Mr. Trussell for being “the driving force” in establishing Texan Alley, the Rec Kidz Camp and the Tarleton Homecoming 5K race. “His vision for introducing these programs was to provide a venue for our department to participate in promoting Tarleton, while enhancing the university’s partnership with the Stephenville community,” said Robert Nimmo, director of recreational sports.

Mr. Trussell’s efforts have included benchmarking other universities for new ideas and contacting bands and sponsors for each event. He also collaborated with the Tarleton Athletics Department, Parent and Family Relations, local businesses and student organizations, which led to successes at each event.

Quality Service Award: The Quality Service Award recognizes a staff member who “goes the extra mile,” exhibiting outstanding dedication to Tarleton and their position, all while maintaining a positive attitude and demonstrating exemplary service.

Donna Savage, Tarleton’s librarian and a 28-year employee of the university, is known for her approach to teamwork across multiple departments, and her tireless efforts to facilitate the best outcomes for the university community, its students, faculty and staff.

“Donna is a true leader representing both the library and the university across the campus, Stephenville, and the state serving on numerous committees and organizations,” said Trudy Carlson, associate director of user services for the Dick Smith Library. “Even with all of her other responsibilities, she takes pleasure in interacting with students whenever possible. As a supervisor, she listens and encourages her staff to do their best.”

Ms. Savage is referred to as one of Tarleton’s “strongest cheerleaders and the library’s fearless leader,” and is passionate and involved with the future planning of the library and other campus services. Among her efforts were the transfer of 6,000 square feet to accommodate the Center for Instructional Innovation in the library-an eventual move that will transform traditional library services into a center where students and faculty can engage in academic activities in a collaborative, technology rich environment.

“The quality of her work, the mettle of her leadership abilities and the sincerity of her devotion to this university are evidenced by the extent to which she is called upon to provide leadership when special and important ongoing tasks call for it,” said one colleague who serves with Ms. Savage on the University Planning Council. “Her organization, vision and commitment are exceptional. She is simply and humbly devoted to the library, the staff she supervises and clearly holds in high regard, and the university that she serves.”