3,000 students expected for FFA Area contest at Tarleton

Media Relations

Several thousand high school students and their sponsors will visit Stephenville on Wednesday, April 11 for the annual Area FFA Career Development Events (CDE) contest, hosted by Tarleton State University.

Approximately 3,000 students representing 243 high schools will converge on the Tarleton campus to participate in various contests and vie for a berth at the State FFA contests in their respective events.

“FFA Career Development Events are the longest running tradition in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, and indeed our faculty has helped shape these events for the state and the nation,” said Dr. Don Cawthon, dean of the college. “We have hosted these events for as long as the Texas FFA Organization has sponsored them. I believe our commitment to agricultural education, to our high school agriculture teachers and to high school students who will become the next generation of leaders in the agricultural, environmental and food industries is second to none, and we are very proud of this commitment to excellence.”

Members from seven of the Texas FFA Association’s 10 areas will compete in 13 contests, including ag mechanics, dairy, entomology, farm business management, floriculture, horse, land, livestock, meats, milk quality and products, nursery/landscape, poultry, and range.

The contests begin at 9 a.m. and will take place at several Tarleton facilities. An awards ceremony will conclude the contest inside Wisdom Gym at approximately 2:15 p.m.

Tarleton will host the State FFA contests for dairy cattle, environmental and natural resources, homesite evaluation, land, milk quality and products, and range on April 19.

For more information on this and future FFA or 4-H events, contact Dr. Ted Ford at 254-968 9224 or email [email protected].