Texas state Senator Craig Estes tours Tarleton campus

Media Relations

Texas state Sen. Craig Estes (R-Witchita Falls) visited Tarleton State University on Monday-his first tour of the campus following the recent legislative redistricting process.

University President F. Dominic Dottavio welcomed the senator to campus before leading Estes on a tour of Tarleton’s Southwest Regional Dairy Center, the University Agriculture Center and several academic departments, including the Department of Nursing, as well as the Texas Institute for Applied Environmental Research (TIAER).

“We are honored that Senator Estes took time out of his busy schedule to visit Stephenville and tour the Tarleton campus,” said Dottavio. “He had active conversations with our faculty, staff and students in an effort to learn more about our university’s academic programs, partnerships and growth opportunities. His support of Tarleton’s mission and our future plans is greatly appreciated.”

During his afternoon visit, Estes, who represents Texas Senate Dist. 30, also met with Tarleton faculty member Dr. Marilyn Duran who was instrumental in establishing the Cross Timbers Health Clinic, and took a moment to visit with students in former U.S. Congressman Charlie Stenholm’s class. The senator also had the opportunity to meet several members of Tarleton’s rodeo teams at their practice facility.

“Earlier this week, I had the privilege of touring the campus of Tarleton State University with Dr. Dottavio and was struck by the university’s many contributions to the area. Not only a leading agriculture university in the state, Tarleton also benefits more than 50 area school districts and significantly boosts the local economy,” said Estes. “In addition to touring impressive university facilities like the dairy center and the new nursing building, I visited with campus and industry leaders who work to provide students with one of the best public educations in the state.

“I am looking forward to representing Tarleton State University, Stephenville and Erath County in my senate district. Tarleton is an outstanding institution and a true asset to both the community and the state,” said Estes.