ULTRA Club presents Big Band Dance to support scholarships

Media Relations

The 26th annual ULTRA Club Scholarship Big Band Dance promises “An Evening of Paradise,” Friday, April 13 on the campus of Tarleton State University. A popular annual event among fans of the Big Band era, the dance is set for 8 p.m. in the ballrooms of the Barry B. Thompson Student Center.

Tickets will go on sale Monday, April 2 in Room 105-E of the Clyde H. Wells Fine Arts Center, and will be available at the door, beginning at 7:30, the night of the dance. Admission is $15 for adults and $8 for students, and incudes music, dancing and hors d’oeuvres.

“We cordially invite the community to come out to the dance, which is one of the biggest events of the year,” said department head Dr. Teresa Davidian. “It’s always upbeat and fun, but it’s also for a great cause since proceeds go towards scholarships for students in the Department of Fine Arts.”

Entertainment will be provided by the ULTRA Club Big Band, a group of volunteer musicians dedicated to the preservation and performance of the great American music of jazz and swing.

Featuring trumpets, trombones, saxophones, piano, string bass, guitar and drums, the ULTRA Club Big Band remains faithful to the authentic styles of the period. Selections include those familiar sounds from the orchestras of Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and others from the 1930s, ’40s, and ’50s.

For more information about the Big Band Dance, contact Dayle Cox at 254-968-9291. To learn more about the ULTRA Club, visit: www.tarleton.edu/ultra.