Grammy nominated big band to headline 50th annual Jazz Festival

Media Relations

On Saturday, March 24, composer and bandleader Darcy James Argue and his acclaimed big band, Secret Society, will serve as the featured guest artists at the 50th annual Tarleton Jazz Festival at Tarleton State University.

An evening concert by Secret Society will conclude the festival, which is hosted each spring by the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia music fraternity. The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Clyde H. Wells Fine Arts Center auditorium and tickets are $10.

Every year since 1962 the university has hosted the Tarleton Jazz Festival, a one-day event that is designed for high school and junior high groups to perform for and work with renowned jazz educators and to hear the guest artists. Previous guest artists include the Count Basie Orchestra, Maynard Ferguson, Bob Mintzer, David “Fathead” Newman, Rufus Reid and Maria Schneider.

“This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Tarleton Jazz Festival and to celebrate we are also bringing in an amazing big band from New York City,” said assistant professor and director of jazz bands Greg Ball.

Secret Society will make its Texas debut and will perform music from its Grammy nominated debut, “Infernal Machines,” as well as selections from the score of its multimedia extravaganza Brooklyn Babylon and other unrecorded material.

Argue is a two-time winner in the Rising Star Composer category of the DownBeat Critics Poll who is credited with “reinventing the jazz big band for the 21st century.”

The Wall Street Journal said his music is “brimming with fresh ideas” while Newsweek said it represents “a wholly original take on big band’s past, present and future.”

Learn more about Darcy James Argue and Secret Society at www.secretsocietymusic.org.

“The festival is for high school and junior high groups, both big bands and combos, and is designed to give students in-depth exposure to all aspects of jazz” Ball said. “The bands will perform on our stages for three jazz educators who will provide written comments. Following their performances, the groups will work with one of the clinicians, receiving immediate feedback on positive aspects and help in those areas that need it.”

Awards will be given to outstanding bands in all classifications and outstanding musicians/soloists in each group at the conclusion of the festival.

All events during the day are open to the public and admission is free, except for the evening concert. Advance ticket sales will begin Monday, March 19 in Room 105-E in the Fine Arts Department office, and can be purchased weekdays from 8 a.m.-noon and 1-5 p.m.

For more information about the 50th annual Tarleton Jazz Festival, please visit www.tarleton.edu/band/camps/jazz_festival.html or call 968-9291 for tickets.