Corps of Cadets revive Retreat Ceremony

Courtesy of tarleton.edu

Courtesy of tarleton.edu

Kristan Bartlett, Contributor

The Tarleton State University Corps of Cadets are resurrecting the University Retreat Ceremony to pay tribute to the nation, U.S. flag and military veterans. Every ceremony takes place at 5 p.m. on the third Tuesday of every month at the flag pole in the center of campus in front of E.J. Howell Education Building.

“This ceremony is firmly rooted in U.S. military history, dating back to the Revolution, and provides
an opportunity to show respect to the nation, the U.S. flag, and active soldiers, marines, sailors, airmen and coast guardsmen as well as those who have served their country in the past,” Colonel Kenny Weldon, Commandant of Cadets and Senior Director of Strategic Studies, said.

“This ceremony not only honors the American flag and the principles for which it stands, but allows students and community members to take pride in and experience this enduring patriotic tradition.”

The Corps of Cadets will be in formation along Military Drive and at 5 p.m., a trumpet solo of the Retreat song, followed by “To the Colors” will sound across the campus. A trumpet player from the Tarleton Fine Arts Department, under Assistant Professor Dr. Brian Walker, will play these songs during the Retreat Ceremony. A firing of the cannon will also take place.

“The flag retreat ceremony was originally performed by cadets at Tarleton on a daily basis. Today, and every day at every military installation in the world, the flag is raised and lowered in honor and respect,” Weldon said.

“For the ceremony at Tarleton, students, faculty and staff within proximity of the ceremony should stop, turn toward the flagpole and render proper courtesies while cadets slowly lower the American flag.”