Sundown on the Square to be held this Saturday

Jordan Cummings, Contributor

Sundown on the Square will be having its third annual festival on Oct. 14. The festivities will begin at 5 p.m. and end at 9 p.m. Sundown on the Square is an annual fundraiser to raise money for the Historical House Museum of Stephenville. This year, the theme is focused on the centennial celebration of Tarleton State University.

“This is a family-friendly festival. We’re honoring the life and legend of John Tarleton in accordance with Tarleton’s centennial celebration,” Marion Cole, one of the founders of Sundown, said.

“Each year, we choose a historical event that helped shape Stephenville and celebrate it on the square,” Metta Collier, another founder said. “This year all the funds raised will go towards the restoration of the John Tarleton Ranch House.”

You can expect to find food from local food trucks and restaurants around the square, wine tastings from Texas wineries, shopping around the square and a whole area for kids. The shops around the square will be open late until 9 p.m. in honor of the festival.

“The music is fabulous this year. The street dance will begin at 5 p.m. with CB Sutton. Then Randall King, who is being referred to as the ‘next George Strait’ will go on at 6:30. The Tejas Brothers will end the night and the festivities will end at nine,” Cole said.

The event itself is free to get into. You can also enjoy the street dance free of cost. It costs $6 for kids to get into the kid’s zone and $24 for of-age adults to enjoy the wine tasting. The wine tasting fee includes 12 wine tastings and a free complimentary bag and wine glass. The kids zone will have a bungee jumping, a mechanical bull, bounce houses and face painting.

Tickets will be required to participate in the events and to buy food from the vendors. The ticket booths will accept cash, card or check.

“We definitely could not pull this off without the support of our volunteers. We have volunteers from the community, the high school and so many from Tarleton. We especially could not do this without Tarleton. You people there are amazing; you all have such good energy and are willing to work,” Collier boasted.

A historical art exhibit will be set up by Glenda Stone in the atrium of the court house beginning on Tuesday, Oct. 10 until the evening of the event. Tarleton alumni, Liz Myron and Mark Davis, are showcasing their art on the day of the festival only.

Although the purpose of this event is to raise money for the historical house, Collier says that “there is never a definite goal on how much we want to raise. We just want the community to come out and have a good time.”

For more information, visit the Sundown on the Square Facebook.