Entomological Society to host Bug Appétit tonight

Angel Jauregui, Contributor

Tarleton State University never fails to surprise its students, whether if it involves getting tuition payed for by making a half-court shot or putting on an event where students can have the opportunity to eat insects.

Tonight, the Entomological Society, along with Paula Mckeehan, Assistant Professor for Wildlife, Sustainability and Ecosystem Sciences, and Dr. David Kattes, Professor for Wildlife, Sustainability and Ecosystem Sciences, will host the event. The event will take place in the Kinesiology building in room 176, from 5 to 6 p.m. The event will be serving Tex-Mex theme appetizers, with a little twist. All appetizers will be featuring a different type of insects, for example Jiminy Cricket Brownies and Hopping Street Tacos.

The event is being held in order to “foster interest in non-traditional food sources,” Kattes said.

In many parts of the world, entomophagy is common and can become acceptable in the United States if the population overcomes the fear and stigma associated with the practice.

Mckeehan hopes that students, faculty and staff become more educated on “dietary habits of other cultures around the world and to highlight the food and nutrition and entomology students and programs.”

The event came forward due to Kattes discussion on feeding 9 million people by 2050, and finding new sources of sustainable food.

Bugs are plentiful and “are not only an excellent source of protein, but are also quite tasty!” Kattes said.

Kattes & Mckeehan hope students and staff will have fun with the event and enjoy themselves.

For students who are unable to attend the event, there is the possibility of another event similar to this one, with a full meal composed of arthropod inspired cuisine and an opportunity to pair the dishes with locally produced wines and beers.