Last minute spring break options for any college students budget

Spring break is just around the corner for Tarleton State University students. Spring break is from March 11-15. The weeks after winter break begin to feel like the longest weeks of our lives. Luckily spring break offers the perfect mid semester hiatus. If spring break has snuck up on you and you haven’t made any plans, here are some last-minute spring break options perfect for any budget.

$

Rio Frio Festival

Photo courtesy of the Rio Frio Fest website
Tubers ride along the Frio River.

Rio Frio Festival is a country music festival held in Concan, Texas just 81 miles west of San Antonio, Texas. Rio Frio Fest is the perfect mixture of spending the day on the river, participating in their activities such as at the crawfish boil, washer tournaments, chicken drop bingo, sand volleyball and watching headliners such as Koe Wetzel, Read Southall Band, Randall King, Shea Abshier and more. You can buy one to three day passes for the festival ranging from $20-50 or if you want to treat yourself you can purchase VIP admission for $100. Their website offers accommodations for lodging and even offers bundle tickets! 

Enchanted Rock State Natural Area

Photo courtesy of Brittainie Cason
A hiker sits on top of the Enchanted Rock summit.

If you’re looking to spend the week outdoors but can’t afford to go out of state, head to Enchanted Rock in Fredericksburg, Texas. Enchanted Rock offers many outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, rock climbing, geocache, and more! Be prepared to break a sweat climbing Enchanted Rock as there are 11 miles to hike as well as the summit of the rock to climb (don’t worry you don’t need climbing gear).

If you do not want to go to Enchanted Rock Fredericksburg is still a beautiful small town with plenty of shops, museums and vineyards to visit. 

SXSW in Austin, Texas

Photo courtesy of Chris Waterman
Amtrak reaches Austin station in the heart of downtown.

South by Southwest is an annual interactive media, film and music festival held in Austin, Texas this year from March 8-17. This festival offers a variety of events for everyone that loves the entertainment industry. Prices can vary depending on if you’re willing to pay for actual passes or just attend the free events by grabbing a guest pass. If you’re looking to spend the week going to the music festival, film festival, comedy festival, gaming exhibition, or listening to conference/keynote speakers then SXSW is the perfect choice for you! 

$$

Six Flags Over Texas

Photo courtesy of Six Flags Over Texas’s Twitter
Six Flags Over Texas logo which is located in Arlington, TX.

Grab your friends and family who enjoy the thrills of roller coasters and head to Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, Texas. Six Flags offers a wide variety of rides for thrill seekers, families and kids! Not only do they offer plenty of rides to keep you there all day, they also have food, drink, and entertainment for when you need a little break between rides. Six Flags is open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. for a single day ticket starts as low as $57.99 per ticket!

Schlitterbahn Waterpark 

Photo courtesy of Madison White
The Schlitterbahn tower at the entrance of one of the tube rides in New Braunfels, Texas.

If you’re looking for the thrill of a ride but want to stay cool head to Schlitterbahn Waterpark in New Braunfels, Texas. Schlitterbahn is about 48 miles southwest of Austin, Texas. Schlitterbahn offers all kinds of water roller coasters, slides, lazy rivers, wave pools and more for everyone to enjoy! Schlitterbahn also offers lodging and cabanas if you want to make it a week-long trip. Schlitterbahn is open daily from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. with tickets starting at $36.99 single day adult ticket and $26.99 single day child/senior ticket.

South Padre Island

Photo courtesy of Madison White
Madison White and her mom ride horse along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico with South Padre Island Adventure Park.

Every college student knows of the infamous South Padre spring break trip. If you’re looking to spend the week on the beach and partying, then South Padre is the destination for you. South Padre Island, Texas is located 503 miles (about eight hours) south of Stephenville, Texas. Booking a hotel last minute can be tough on South Padre Island so it’s best if you can’t find a hotel to book across the bridge in Port Isabel. Plenty of resorts in South Padre Island also offer packages to go to their pool parties if you want to spend less time driving around the island. It’s important to remember if you do attend South Padre Island for Spring Break that you have a designated driver/lyft or uber driver if you are drinking, to drink plenty of water, wear sunscreen and to use the buddy system whenever possible. 

$$$

Angel Fire Resort

Photo courtesy of Klaire Brock
Snow boarder Klaire Brock, snaps a quick photo of Angel Fire village before heading down the slope.

If you’re wanting to head out of Texas for Spring Break and want to keep cool, then head to Angel Fire Resort in Angel Fire, New Mexico. Known as Northern New Mexico’s top skiing resort you’re bound to find something fun for everyone to have in the snow. Angel Fire Resort is even hosting a Spring Break Country Fest from March 8-17 with different activities each day. The resort offers lodging, dining and plenty of activities such as snowboarding, skiing, sledding, tubing and more. Rooms at the resort vary in price depending on the length of stay and how many are in your party. The ski lift runs daily from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and 5 – 7 p.m. for night skiing on select nights. Ski lift tickets for adults start as low as $77 for a single day ticket.  

Visit any National Park

Photo courtesy of Emily Miller
Emily Miller stops to take a photo of the scenery at Yosemite National Park in January.

Spring break is the perfect opportunity to visit any one of the 58 National Parks in the United States. From Big Bend National Park in Texas, the Grand Canyon in Arizona, Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, Yosemite National Park in California, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, there are plenty of parks to choose from various activities depending on taste and budget. Prices vary depending on whether you fly or drive to the destination, lodging, and eating. Most parks allow for camping and/or have resorts on site. There are plenty of activities in each park such as hiking, biking, camping, explorations led by park rangers and many more. No matter what National Park you choose to attend I can guarantee you will be blown away by the landscape and wildlife that each one has to offer.

No matter what your budget is for Spring Break, these options give a wide variety of things to do to ensure you enjoy the break. Whatever you choose to do, remember to take time to relax, spend time with loved ones and make good decisions.