Bands at Tarleton celebrate centennial anniversary

The Tarleton band has grow over the past 100 years from the original nine members to over 150 member

Photo courtesy of Tarleton Media Relations

This year the Tarleton band is celebrating their centennial Anniversary. The Tarleton band started under the Corps of Cadets umbrella, so early pictures of the band are in Corps of Cadets uniforms. The Tarleton band went from one band with nine people to what is now over 150 people in a marching band, two concert bands, two jazz bands and two sports bands. Dr. David Robinson is the Director of Bands here at Tarleton, a position he has held for two years. Robinson teaches courses in the Fine Arts Center, conducts wind ensembles, and does administrative work behind the bands such as budgeting and time management. Robinson has an Undergraduate in Music Education and a Master’s and PhD in Conducting. Throughout his school years, he played primarily saxophone in marching band, wind ensemble and jazz band. “There are different missions with each band. All of them have service attached to them to perform for the school. Athletic bands perform for athletic events. Concert, jazz and marching bands are pre-professional. It’s also a training ground for music majors, music educators and future
directors. They exist as a laboratory for students to learn about the field,” Robinson said. The Tarleton bands are all a part of the artistic scene for Stephenville as a whole. “We would like to grow and find more people who share our mission to give a better college experience” Robinson said. A big part is the move to Division I, because it will have a huge impact on the bands. The bands will be busier on campus, travel to additional away games, and work out different game schedules specifically with basketball. “We would like to expand the number of ensembles we offer, and we would like to be able to have additional concert bands,” Freshman Music Education major, Joshua Verden said. Many music majors and band members consider band important and have been impacted by music. “Music is one of the few ways to connect with people despite the differences they have, and it helps everyone through the best and worst times,” Verden said. Verden is involved in The Sound and The Fury, Jazz II and a Trumpet Ensemble. “To me, music means togetherness. Everyone in the world may be separate on their morals and beliefs, but every single person can connect through music. That’s why band is so monumental. A group of people coming together for the spirit of Tarleton and making music to represent our colors and our passions. It’s a feeling that is irreplaceable,” sophomore Music Education major Abbie Kistner said. Kistner is in The Sound and The Fury, Percussion Ensemble and Wind Ensemble. To celebrate the centennial anniversary, the bands are putting on over a week’s worth of celebrations. “The bands aren’t in the limelight that often, so it’s a week and a half where we can take the spotlight to be on the university’s radar” Robinson said. The Centennial Celebration will begin with the Kick-Off Concert on Nov. 7 and will conclude with the Tarleton Band Centennial Grand Concert on Nov. 17. Information on the Centennial Celebration can be found on the Tarleton website under the Tarleton Bands section.