Helping hands, caring hearts

Tarleton Round Ups 25th Year

This year marks the 25th anniversary of something very important to the Tarleton community. Many students volunteer their time each year to participate in Tarleton Round Up. It is one of the largest student-led community service projects at Tarleton, and this year they are expecting a record breaking number of volunteers as well as number of job sites.

Tarleton Round Up takes place Oct. 1 and is a great opportunity for students to volunteer and serve  the community. Students who volunteer for Round Up will be assigned to one of the job sites designated throughout the Stephenville area. This volunteer event is held to help connect Tarleton students back with the community. This year there is expected to be anywhere between 1,000 and 1,200 students and staff in anticipation of the quarter-century anniversary of the event.

Tanner Chambers, a member of the leadership team for Round Up, shares that these “job sites” are designated areas created for a group to help a Stephenville resident in need. Jobs often include: raking leaves, hauling away debris, and other house or landscaping chores. 

Round Up is a special time for the Tarleton community because it unites us in the university core values: integrity, excellence, and respect. Giving back to the community helps us fulfill these values and become better citizens of the city we live in. 

When some people think of Round Up, they think of spending a few hours on a Saturday cleaning up someone’s yard, but what they don’t know is the impact they’ve had on someone’s life. I have heard stories of how the homeowner simply wanted her flower beds cleaned out, but she had been unable to do it due to certain circumstances. The choice we make when signing up to volunteer for this one day of service makes a lifelong impact,” Chambers said. 

If you wish to volunteer for Round Up, you can sign up on Texan Sync. Look up “Round Up” in the search bar and select the Round Up organization from the list. From there, you can fill out the volunteer form. This event is a great way to not only get service hours, but to build relationships within the Stephenville area. 

For more information, follow @tarletonroundup on Instagram.