What is Lent?

An overview of Lent

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, a 40-day prayer season. Those who partake showcase  a cross on their forehead made from ashes to represent Ash Wednesday. The ashes are commonly made from the Palms from the former Palm Sunday and are burned for next year’s Ash Wednesday, which are also christened by holy water.

During this time, people have  the opportunity  to self-reflect as well as grow and deepen their relationship with God. It is also a 40-day period of fasting that represents  the time Jesus was in the desert fasting and resisting temptation.

Fasting done during Lent can either be in the form of giving up something like caffeine, learning to resist temptation. Fasting is indicated by giving up meat every  Wednesday and Friday during the 40-day timespan. . The latter form of fasting is derived from the historical idea that meat was seen as a luxury and/or a delicacy since it is commonly eaten for celebrations and traditions.  

Lent is more commonly known to be celebrated by those who believe and practice Catholicism, but there are many other religions that observe Lent. These religions include Eastern Orthodox, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and more. 

There are many other significant days that take place during Lent, more specifically Palm Sunday, where people wave palm leaves in the air to represent the beginning of the last week of Lent. The last week of Lent is commonly known as Holy Week. 

Following Palm Sunday, there is Holy Wednesday, or Spy Wednesday. This is when Judas, a spy among the disciples, betrayed Jesus in exchange for 30 silver pieces. Maundy Thursday, the day after Holy Wednesday, is when the famous dinner, the Last Supper, took place. This was a meal that was shared between Jesus and his disciples before his death. 

Good Friday is a day that many know of. It was the day that Jesus was crucified on the cross for his people. This is a holiday that is widely celebrated by various groups of believers. 

Lastly is Easter Sunday, the day that Jesus rose from the dead after his crucifixion. This is stated to be one of the most important, if not the most important, day for Chrisitans. 

All in all, Lent is a sacred time for those to reflect on themselves as well as growing their connection and relationship with Jesus. It is also a time to learn about yourself and how to be strong in the face of temptation.

For more information, please visit www.mercyhome.org/blog/sunday-mass/reflections/ash-weds/, aleteia.org/2022/02/16/who-celebrates-lent-is-it-only-for-catholics/, www.cru.org/us/en/train-and-grow/life-and-relationships/holidays/lent/what-is-lent-about-and-why-is-it-important.html, aleteia.org/2017/03/01/heres-why-catholics-dont-eat-meat-on-fridays-during-lent/, and www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/calendar/day.cfm?date=2024-03-27.