Baby ducks galore

Provided by Dr. Kristy O”Keefe

Tarleton State calls its annual summer freshman orientation Duck Camp for Oscar P, the infamous pet duck of the institution’s founder. In order to accommodate all of the students who wanted to understand more of Tarleton State’s rich culture and history before they arrived on campus to begin their adventure, four camps were needed the previous years. 

As the university’s spirit soars to new heights, a fifth camp has been introduced this year. Many thrilled students and Tarleton Transition Mentors who were present for the announcement rushed to Instagram to share it with the rest of the students after it was made. 

The number of freshman and transfer students that attend Duck Camp ranks as one of the largest in the country, and 500 more are anticipated this year. Since 2019, the university has been breaking enrollment records every semester, and this fall, they expect to serve 17,000 students. The first Duck Camp was hosted at Tarleton State University in 1995, and up until the announcement, there were four of them held annually since 2016. 

The Office of Transition & Family Relations opted to establish a fifth Duck Camp due to high enrollment and an overflow of students who were unable to attend Duck Camp because all four were fully booked.

“It’s no secret that a growing number of students are selecting Tarleton State as their top choice of university. They adore Tarleton, its individuals, its traditions, and its dedication to achievement. We’re prepared for the greatest fall in Tarleton history, and we want every new student to have the best summer Duck Camp experience possible. There is no greater opportunity to gain insight into our university, relate with fellow students and get involved with the Tarleton family,” said President James Hurley.

According to Senior Residential & Transition Coordinator Mike Barnett, “A fifth Duck Camp has been discussed extensively since 2016, especially because we’ve had record enrollment in the last couple of years for all Duck Camps.” 

The fifth Duck Camp will take place from Aug.14 to 16. While this may be a new Duck Camp, it will be the same experience that all incoming freshmen get to enjoy. A weekend full of fun, memories, and new friends.