“Scott Pilgrim” takes off to Netflix

Show released 13 years later

Revealed in March of this year, creator of popular comic book franchise and movie, Bryan Lee O’ Malley, confirmed that a “Scott Pilgrim” television series was under wraps at Netflix. Not only that, but almost every single one of the original main cast members from “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World” (2010) will return for their roles over 13 years after the movie was released. The series is to be released Nov. 17. 

“Scott Pilgrim” has had a cult following since the released movie, with most of the stars witnessing their own fame rocket in their careers afterwards. The cast for the movie and show includes recognizable names such as Chris Evans, Michael Cera, Brie Larson, and Aubrey Plaza. “Scott Pilgrim” was originally a comic book released between 2004 and 2010, the final coming out not even a month before the movie release. “Scott Pilgrim” also saw success within the video game industry, with “Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game” (2010) 

Bryan Lee O’Malley is a Korean French-Canadian Cartoonist who is most known for his work contribution to the world of “Scott Pilgrim,” he pursued a degree in film before dropping out to focus solely on his artistic ventures. Originally released in black and white, he would create 6 novels within this series, of which are available today in color.  

“Scott Pilgrim” vs. The World” takes its name from the second comic book in the series, it did not follow the absolute plot of the comics, and this is to be expected with the series “Scott Pilgrim Takes Off” (2023). However, the basis of the plot of the comic books is being followed, in which we see from the trailer. 

The title character, Scott Pilgrim, meets a girl named Ramona Flowers, and they begin dating, only to have to defeat every single one of her seven evil exes. There is also a battle of the bands that his band is competing in, where Scott Pilgrim must face his own demons, such as past girlfriends, the troubles of being an unemployed young adult in Canada and even himself. 

“Scott Pilgrim” has gained traction in popularity on social media apps such as TikTok and Instagram, and a new generation of people have gained a love for this franchise. However, “Scott Pilgrim” was always meant to be for young adults no matter what, and no matter what is changed in this adaptation. 

“If the only thing that was going to make you happy is just a direct adaptation of the books, then I was never going to be able to make anybody happy,” Co-Showrunner Ben David Grabinski told IGN. “I hope people like it as much as I do.” 

The series has caused major excitement from “Scott Pilgrim” fans old and young, as they have counted the days for a new medium of this universe. There will be eight episodes within this series, and they will be all released at the same time on Netflix, Nov. 17 at midnight. 

For more information on “Scott Pilgrim” Takes Off, go to www.sportskeeda.com/anime/news-netflix-streams-scott-pilgrim-anime-s-opening-sequence-weeks-ahead-premiere or www.ign.com/articles/scott-pilgrim-takes-off-showrunners-on-why-the-netflix-anime-is-more-than-just-the-greatest-hits.