The new movie craze

“Saltburn” movie review

If you have been on the internet recently, you have probably seen the reviews. “Saltburn,” a movie made in 2023 is currently the internet craze. Much of the popularity began when people noticed one of the main characters was Jacob Elordi, a popular television show actor who took on the role of Nate in “Euphoria.” 

While many were excited for the actor’s new movie, they were quickly thrown for a loop once watching the actual film. 

“Saltburn” currently has a 71% tomatometer and a 79% audience score on the rotten tomatoes website. Many are confused by the high rating due to what the movie contains. While the plot of this film is good, surprising, and chair-turning, if you are easily offended, grossed out, or sick to your stomach, this may not be the movie for you.

This R rated movie revolves around the main characters – Oliver and Felix. “Struggling to find his place at Oxford University, student Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan) finds himself drawn into the world of the charming and aristocratic Felix Catton (Jacob Elordi), who invites him to Saltburn, his eccentric family’s sprawling estate, for a summer never to be forgotten,” rottentomatoes.com discloses. 

Oliver becomes friends with Felix and soon after things begin to get what some may call “weird.” It seems as if Oliver is growing an obsession with Felix. This obsession eventually turns into lies, betrayals, and out-of-pocket scenes. 

Their relationship is already uncomfortable at the beginning of the movie, but it takes a turn once Oliver is invited to Felix’s house over break. 

Now it’s going to start simple as a stray looking for companionship in the character of Oliver wanting actually being obsessed by more powerful, beautiful, richer, popular Felix… a love that gets be so strong that end up eating him inside,” Ionela Elena Buga shares on Google reviews.

Once Oliver makes himself comfortable at Felix’s place, the whole film begins to shift. The plot thickens, relationships suffer, and some scenes are… shocking. This is probably the most horrifyingly explicit movie I have seen. The producer, Emerald Fennell, did not hold back. 

“Some scenes are truly uncanny, I have to admit, but they make the movie richer. Watching Ollie struggle with his feelings for Felix was truly a beautiful touch, showing the way real human feelings work,” Rylee M. wrote in a Google review. 

Although you need a strong stomach to watch this film, it truly is a beautifully told story. It is a tale of romance in some ways. We get to follow Oliver on his journey through the discovery of not only himself, but love, friendship, betrayal, and so much more. 

Once you make it through all the love, strangeness, and mystery, the film has one of the most jaw-dropping plot turns I have ever witnessed. Not only does this movie keep you on your toes, but it does an amazing job at keeping you entranced and wanting more. 

“I decided to watch to see what all the fuss was about, just expecting a weird , hyped up film, but it held me all the way through, and the ending was dark, funny and ‘Murder on the Dancefloor’ just a perfect swan song,” Debra Willis-Hall shared on Google reviews.

If you are looking for a movie that is filled with plot-twists, excitement, and friendship, this should definitely be your next stop. Just make sure to keep in mind who you share the experience of watching this film with, as not everyone has enjoyed this movie as much as others. 

“What I find truly disturbing is the many positive audience reviews for this trashy and twisted piece of filmmaking – to me what these reviews reveal about our current social culture is how far we have descended into a vaudevillian celebration of stomach-churning, debased voyeurism and dangerously baleful apathy toward sociopathy,” Nancy Dawson wrote on Google reviews. “I wanted to turn it off several times but I guess the only reason I didn’t was because I was waiting for it to somehow redeem itself which most definitely never happened.”

Overall, I give this movie three and a half stars out of five. You really need to be strong-willed to make it through some of the disturbing scenes within this film, but it was a great story. It kept me on my toes and constantly wondering what exactly would be coming next. The ending was the best part for me as it brought all my questions to a close and truly shows what the disturbed can do when devoted.