TexAnn golf ties for third at Concho River Classic

The Tarleton State University TexAnn golf team traveled to San Angelo to compete in the Concho River Classic at Bentwood Country Club on Sept. 16 and 17. After two days of tough competition, the team finished with a tie for third place.

On the first day, sophomore Isabell Jimenez-Perea and freshman Beatriz Prados led the TexAnns. Both of them shot only one over par for a pair of 73’s. Even with two scores that close to par, the team sat tied for fourth place with 19 over par (307) at the end of day one.

Senior Sharon Lau ended with eight over par (80), and junior Jessica Pickwick shot a nine over par (91) at the end of the first day. Playing as an individual was junior Maraea Durie, who shot a 78 (six over par).

Going into day two, the team knew they had to shoot better than the day before if they wanted to medal. As a team, they scored 11 strokes better on day two than on day one (296). The team finished with a tie for third with Cameron University and five strokes behind Newman College for second.

Sophomore Isabell Jimenez-Perea had a repeat of day one with shooting a 73, one over par and she tied for fifth place as an individual. Freshman Beatriz Prados carded a score of 75; three over par, for a tie for seventh place individually. Sharon Lau and Jessica Pickwick both scored a 74, two over par. The girls tied for 20th and 22nd, respectively. Playing as an individual this tournament was junior Marea Durie, who scored a 73 on day two and tied for 14th place individually.

Also competing this tournament was sophomore Whitney Uselton who had a two day total of 172, 28 over par (86,86) and finished in 55th place.

The TexAnns won’t have another chance to compete again until Oct. 14 and 15 at the Dallas Baptist Golf Classic at the Golf Club of Dallas.